Teenager in hospital after England's Lane blaze
A TEENAGER was taken to hospital after fire broke out at a flat in Belsize Park. The blaze started at a second storey apartment in England s Lane at around 1pm yesterday and emergency services rushed to the scene after witnesses called to report black smo
A TEENAGER was taken to hospital after fire broke out at a flat in Belsize Park.
The blaze started at a second storey apartment in England's Lane at around 1pm yesterday and emergency services rushed to the scene after witnesses called to report black smoke billowing from an upstairs window.
An 18-year-old man was taken by ambulance to the Royal Free Hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation. The woman who lives at the flat, who is thought to be Russian, was at home during the fire but was led to safety by firefighters and treated for smoke inhalation at the scene.
Witness Valerie Haynes, of Primrose Hill, said: "I was coming down my road towards England's Lane when I saw people standing in the street and I saw there was black smoke billowing out of the window. It smelled horrible. A few minutes later the fire brigade arrived.
You may also want to watch:
"We don't know what happened. It made me worry a bit because I had a candle on at home. It is a concern around here because the walls in these flats are like paper. I don't know if it's gone through and affected the neighbouring flats. The whole lot could have gone up."
Police sealed off the road to traffic while firefighters tackled the blaze, bringing it under control shortly before 2pm.
- 1 Hampstead creperies told to close by Camden Council because of 'Covid risk'
- 2 Teenager dies after stabbing in Archway
- 3 Ole & Steen bakery set to open in Hampstead's former Café Rouge
- 4 Royal Free calls in the army as 'unprecedented' demand continues
- 5 Man detained after series of attacks on women in Hampstead
- 6 Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta echoes players' support for absent Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang
- 7 MPs challenge Hampstead Heath ponds swimming charges hike
- 8 Arsenal face a crucial week as they bid to start pushing on
- 9 Archway murder investigation launched as 15-year-old victim named
- 10 Buyers claim luxury flats are 'nightmare' construction site
David Smith, who is the owner of Ecora Limited - a wood flooring and paint business below the flat, had a lucky escape when he went outside to take a look.
"I saw the people on the pavement and came out of the shop," he said. "When I walked out the window in the flat where the fire was blew out and glass crashed down on the pavement just behind me. A couple of feet nearer and that would have given me a very close shave."
A spokesman for the London Fire Brigade said: "Four fire engines and around 20 firefighters attended the scene. About a third of the flat was damaged by fire. There were no issues with injuries or rescue from the property."