TAMSIN'S BLOG: 5,000 happy campers united under protest banners
Post 2 1.30pm: Wednesday: Camp is up and running in Bishopsgate, Liverpool Street and carnival atmosphere takes over the streets. There are some reports of violence and windows being smashed at RBS but that is removed from the Climate Camp site. Some pro
Post 2 1.30pm: Wednesday: Camp is up and running in Bishopsgate, Liverpool Street and carnival atmosphere takes over the streets. There are some reports of violence and windows being smashed at RBS but that is removed from the Climate Camp site.
Some protesters also gained entry to the bank but have been removed by police.
This is amazing, really, really amazing. We've upwards of 5,000 campers all along Bishopsgate. There's music, banners - it's beautiful, I don't think anyone is going to get past. The camp was so easy to set up - more than 2,000 people just came here at the same time and did it.
There are protesters everywhere. I am sitting on top of a bus shelter and as far as I can see there are protesters heads in both directions and hardly any police, as well as lots and lots of tents.
You may also want to watch:
We decided to set up the camp outside the Carbon Exchange building. We can't keep investing in what caused this mess in the first place. We want the G20 leaders to come out with answers instead of just investing in all the same industries and doing nothing. There are alternatives and creative alternatives if they want them.
People have come here from all over the world, I've met people from Italy, Greece and France. Here there doesn't seem to be any violence at all - it's really beautiful and the sun is shining.
- 1 'Big elephant's backside': David Hare and Nicole Farhi slam house plans
- 2 Buyers launch legal action after £75k bill for flammable cladding
- 3 Armed police search Tube at Finchley Road and find 'imitation' gun
- 4 Teenage girls charged with Hampstead robberies
- 5 'He was mesmerising': Barney Hoskyns on Prince, five years on
- 6 Mary Feilding Guild: New Highgate owner claims 'widespread Legionella'
- 7 HIV 'progress is stalling' says Royal Free doctor who consulted on It's A Sin
- 8 Camden Council seeks to honour Covid-19 pandemic heroes
- 9 Boy George and Bananarama join Kenwood 2021 concert line up
- 10 Arguments over Heath impact of homes in Jack Straw's Castle car park