TalkTalk chief executive donates bonus to Muswell Hill autism charity
- Credit: Archant
The major donation was announced following an expensive cyber attack on the telecoms company
The CEO of a major telecoms company has announced she is donating her £220,000 bonus to a Muswell Hill autism centre.
Baroness Dido Harding, chief executive of TalkTalk, which suffered a major cyber attack last year, says it is a personal decision to donate her bonus.
The gift was received by Ambitious about Autism, on Woodside Avenue, a national charity which raises awareness of autism and provides educational support through the Treehouse School and Ambitious College.
It will bolster the charity’s £4.4m fundraising drive to raise money for Ambitious College, offering education to 16-25 year olds with complex autism.
You may also want to watch:
Less than one in four young people with autism can access further education, but the college can only accommodate 40 pupils from its temporary home in Barnet.
They are raising money towards two permanent new campuses – one to open in Seven Sisters in September, and the second in Isleworth in 2017, allowing them to cater for up to 170 students.
- 1 Lane closure scrapped after high pollution readings double
- 2 Falling stonework narrowly misses outdoor diners at Crouch End cafe
- 3 'Auto-destruction' in a train shed: how the Roundhouse made Camden cool
- 4 Hampstead bakery sells challah hearts for Mental Health Awareness Week
- 5 British fencing great Richard Kruse announces retirement
- 6 Hampstead man jailed for pub 'revenge attack' on Jewish Tory barrister
- 7 New Indian restaurant Ritu to replace Yasmeen Kitchen in St John's Wood
- 8 Owner mourns Highgate station’s beloved black cat
- 9 Camden shouldn't ignore residents, but we need low-traffic neighbourhoods
- 10 Haringey Council leader ousted by rival in Labour group vote
TalkTalk has supported Ambitious About Autism for 14 years, raising more than £2m for the charity.
Baroness Harding said: “Throughout the cyber attack, we worked hard to put our customers first, and we know that they have appreciated our efforts and our honesty throughout.
“Nevertheless, last October was a challenging period for TalkTalk and its customers and, in recognition of that, I have made a personal decision to donate my bonus to our charity partner, Ambitious About Autism.”
Jolanta Lasota, chief executive of Ambitious about Autism, said: “On behalf of everybody at Ambitious about Autism, I would like to say a huge thank you to Dido for her generous gift and continued support for children and young people with autism.”