Swiss Cottage Library closed as burst water pipe leads to ‘considerable’ flooding
- Credit: Archant
Swiss Cottage Library has been forced to close after a burst pipe saw a “considerable volume” of water flood into the building’s basement.
Contractors and council workers were working flat out all of yesterday and this morning to pump out the water and say it will likely take all weekend to fix.
Power and heating have had to be cut with the library reopening at the earliest on Monday.
A statement from the council said: “Colleagues across the council have been working throughout the day with contractors to understand the situation and to plan to reopen the library as quickly as possible.
“The flooding was caused by a burst water main outside of the library.
You may also want to watch:
“The volume of water which entered the basement of the library was considerable and whilst no library stock was affected, the basement needs to be pumped out, dried and all electrical systems will need to be checked before it will be safe to restore power and heating to the building.
“It will take several days to complete this process and assess what work is needed to make the building safe for use.”
- 1 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 2 Nancy Jirira wins Fortune Green by-election, holding on to Lib Dem council seat
- 3 Haringey Council launches investigation into land deal with rapper
- 4 £5,000 of crack cocaine and heroin found in Hampstead home
- 5 'Cash cows': Leaseholders fight for clarity and better value over 'huge bills'
- 6 Property of the week: Impressive mid-terrace Kentish Town family home
- 7 Teenager's artwork reimagines grandfather's class photo
- 8 Highgate School staff must undergo 'anti-sexism training' over summer
- 9 Crouch End Festival Chorus: Alexandra Palace Theatre
- 10 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate