Swiss Cottage fire: Hundreds flee Taplow tower block blaze
More than a hundred terrified residents were forced to flee their homes last night as a fire tore through a Swiss Cottage tower block.
Smoke billowed out of the Taplow block in Adelaide Road after a fire erupted on the 17th floor at 10pm.
Fire and ambulance crews were dispatched to the 22 storey block as 130 shocked residents, many of them in their pyjamas, sought refuge in Swiss Cottage community centre across the road.
Forty firefighters battled the ferocious blaze, believed to have been caused when papers caught alight on a candle, for more than three hours, bringing it under control shortly before 1.30am.
No one was hurt.
You may also want to watch:
Station Manager Rod Horton, who was at the scene said: “This was a big block of flats and at this time of night a lot of people were inside the building.
“Crews worked extremely hard to get the fire under control and to confine the fire to just one flat on the seventeenth floor.
- 1 Spot the '90s pop stars in the Never Mind the Buzzcocks identity parade
- 2 How did a double-decker bus crash straight into a Crouch End house?
- 3 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 4 'It's devastating': Golders Green mother speaks out about rare genetic disease
- 5 Explore 8 of north London's prettiest streets
- 6 Four charged following reports of antisemitism in St John's Wood
- 7 Theatre review: Crouch End and Upminster collide in modern love story
- 8 'The Bell of Hampstead': New pub to take over Cork and Bottle site
- 9 'My theatre group saved my life on a Zoom call,' says amputee
- 10 Christmas at Kenwood: 'Winter wonderland' primed for Hampstead Heath
“The cause of the fire was accidental and is believed to have been caused by a candle setting alight some papers.
“There were a huge amount of papers, magazines and books stored in the flat. People should try to avoid storing large amounts of this sort of material as it increases the chances of having a fire in the first place and intensifies the spread of fire if one does occur.”