Swedish sounds disrupted peace and quiet of Heath
I am writing in support of Matthijs Dijkstra s objection (H&H letters July 16) to the Sweden on Stage event on Hampstead Heath on July 4. The debate, for me, does not centre around the quality of the music, but the degree to which it is amplified, not on
I am writing in support of Matthijs Dijkstra's objection (H&H letters July 16) to the Sweden on Stage event on Hampstead Heath on July 4.
The debate, for me, does not centre around the quality of the music, but the degree to which it is amplified, not only on that Saturday, but on most Sunday afternoons throughout the summer and on occasional Friday evenings as well.
For me, like Matthijs Dijkstra and many others, the Heath is not a music venue, it is a place of beauty and tranquillity, to be enjoyed by everyone for its open space, its views over London, its trees and bird life.
The bandstand is not suitable for this type of event. The design is traditional Victorian, open on all sides, with unamplified music in mind, played to an audience who choose to sit near it to enjoy the music and not for bands of whatever size, ridiculously amplified so that it can be heard by hundreds in their homes and gardens over a large area surrounding this corner of the Heath.
You may also want to watch:
If I want to hear music, I go to a venue specifically designed for the purpose so that it is not inflicted on vast numbers of people who wish to enjoy their Sunday afternoons or evenings in a different way.
We already have the Kenwood Concerts on one side of the Heath, which have caused havoc in the past. Let's not allow the same thing to happen on this side. Please keep the sound down!
- 1 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 2 Primrose Hill to close at night this weekend after antisocial behaviour
- 3 The questions council 'must answer' after spending £23m on £10m office
- 4 Hampstead, Highgate and Primrose Hill beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 5 Arteta: Arsenal have 'responsibility' to qualify for Europe
- 6 Calls for law change after Highgate School sexual abuse allegations
- 7 This destruction of a woodland site must be halted
- 8 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
- 9 How a 'terrifying' Hampstead spree of robberies was brought to an end
- 10 Camden men jailed for rape of teenager targeted by Tube station
Parliament Hill, NW5