Swedish sounds disrupted our peace and quiet
I am writing in support of Matthijs Dijkstra s objection (H&H letters July 16) to the Sweden on Stage event on Hampstead Heath on July 4. The debate, for me, does not centre around the quality of the music, but the degree to which it is amplified, not on
I am writing in support of Matthijs Dijkstra's objection (H&H letters July 16) to the Sweden on Stage event on Hampstead Heath on July 4.
The debate, for me, does not centre around the quality of the music, but the degree to which it is amplified, not only on that Saturday, but on most Sunday afternoons throughout the summer and on occasional Friday evenings as well.
For me, like Matthijs Dijkstra and many others, the Heath is not a music venue, it is a place of beauty and tranquillity, to be enjoyed by everyone for its open space, its views over London, its trees and bird life.
The bandstand is not suitable for this type of event. The design is traditional Victorian, open on all sides, with unamplified music in mind, played to an audience who choose to sit near it to enjoy the music and not for bands of whatever size, ridiculously amplified so that it can be heard by hundreds in their homes and gardens over a large area surrounding this corner of the Heath.
If I want to hear music, I go to a venue specifically designed for the purpose so that it is not inflicted on vast numbers of people who wish to enjoy their Sunday afternoons or evenings in a different way.
We already have the Kenwood Concerts on one side of the Heath, which have caused havoc in the past. Let's not allow the same thing to happen on this side. Please keep the sound down!
- 1 Fences and padlocks at Primrose Hill once again
- 2 Free beach returns to Finchley Road for the summer
- 3 Royal Free denies allowing Tory MP to influence medical decision
- 4 Crouch End Festival: 'Back with a bang bigger than ever'
- 5 Alleged stalker sent '1,000 emails in a month’ to The Crown star Claire Foy
- 6 George Michael's Highgate piano to be auctioned off
- 7 'Do the right thing': Locket containing baby's ashes stolen from car
- 8 Fans pray for Bosco 'and his big stick' as he goes into surgery
- 9 'Gabriels stun Koko – superstardom seems inevitable'
- 10 Bow Lock murder: Victim's two girlfriends give evidence at Old Bailey
Parliament Hill, NW5