Swedish sounds disrupted our peace and quiet
I am writing in support of Matthijs Dijkstra s objection (H&H letters July 16) to the Sweden on Stage event on Hampstead Heath on July 4. The debate, for me, does not centre around the quality of the music, but the degree to which it is amplified, not on
I am writing in support of Matthijs Dijkstra's objection (H&H letters July 16) to the Sweden on Stage event on Hampstead Heath on July 4.
The debate, for me, does not centre around the quality of the music, but the degree to which it is amplified, not only on that Saturday, but on most Sunday afternoons throughout the summer and on occasional Friday evenings as well.
For me, like Matthijs Dijkstra and many others, the Heath is not a music venue, it is a place of beauty and tranquillity, to be enjoyed by everyone for its open space, its views over London, its trees and bird life.
The bandstand is not suitable for this type of event. The design is traditional Victorian, open on all sides, with unamplified music in mind, played to an audience who choose to sit near it to enjoy the music and not for bands of whatever size, ridiculously amplified so that it can be heard by hundreds in their homes and gardens over a large area surrounding this corner of the Heath.
You may also want to watch:
If I want to hear music, I go to a venue specifically designed for the purpose so that it is not inflicted on vast numbers of people who wish to enjoy their Sunday afternoons or evenings in a different way.
We already have the Kenwood Concerts on one side of the Heath, which have caused havoc in the past. Let's not allow the same thing to happen on this side. Please keep the sound down!
- 1 Explore 8 of north London's prettiest streets
- 2 'The Bell of Hampstead': New pub to take over Cork and Bottle site
- 3 O2 Centre redevelopment: Decision draws on Camden planning guidance
- 4 Crouch End salesman who nursed mum runs marathon for Diabetes UK
- 5 'Family unit': 28 Church Row wins readers' favourite restaurant
- 6 'Survived the storm': West Hampstead's The Alliance Pub wins reader's poll
- 7 Anger as second audit into £23m 'Mary Celeste' office block is delayed
- 8 Free festival to take over the streets of Camden
- 9 Christmas at Kenwood: 'Winter wonderland' primed for Hampstead Heath
- 10 Haringey Green Lanes flat fire sees 40 firefighters tackle blaze
Parliament Hill, NW5