Swans fight with tiny dog on Hampstead Heath
- Credit: Archant
It may be half their size, but that did not seem to worry this little terrier when it attacked two nesting swans on Hampstead Heath.
The small but seemingly aggressive animal launched itself at the swan couple in the Highgate No 1 Pond on Saturday.
Thankfully, the birds escaped unscathed and managed to protect their two eggs from harm.
They were helped by the dog’s owner, who raced over and pulled his pet away.
Photographer Ron Vester, who witnessed the incident, said: “This little fellow came in and pounced on the nest. The two swans appeared to be getting bitten and snapped at, then they turned on the little guy.
You may also want to watch:
“The owner was in a state of panic, but he managed to reach over and get the dog out.”
Richard Gentry, who manages the Hampstead Heath Constabulary, said: “Sadly this attack was not reported to the Heath Constabulary despite it being witnessed by a number of individuals. Unless we are made aware of these incidents, the City Corporation cannot prosecute. I would encourage anyone who may witness attacks on wildlife to dial 020 8340 5260 or 101. Alternatively they should approach a member of the Hampstead Heath staff.”
- 1 All Camden care home residents given Covid jab
- 2 Crouch End's 'Paul the Paper' bids farewell to Broadway stall
- 3 Apology to Barnet mother for 'embarrassing' food parcel
- 4 'People are scared to come out', say Hampstead coffee shops
- 5 Hampstead vaccination centre shoots for 1,000 daily Covid jabs
- 6 Lord's Cricket Ground used as Covid-19 vaccination centre
- 7 Joan Bakewell fires legal threat to government over second Covid jab
- 8 Jeremy Corbyn launches Peace and Justice Project with calls to action
- 9 Arsenal agree to terminate contract of defender Sokratis Papastathopoulos
- 10 Free Nazanin: Calls for clarity as West Hampstead mum's sentence draws to a close