SWAIN’S LANE EXPLOSION: Man critically injured dies in hospital
- Credit: Archant
The man who was critically injured in an explosion in Swain’s Lane has died.
Police remain at the building site on the corner of Swain’s lane and Highgate West Hill after the loud explosion at 2pm this afternoon.
A man in his 50’s was taken to an east London hospital and later pronounced dead. His next of kin have been informed.
Emergency services including two fire engines, paramedics and an air ambulance went to the scene this afternoon.
Witnesses said they heard a “huge explosion” and there was a strong smell of gas near the site.
You may also want to watch:
The area is being developed by Nobel House who started demolishing the former shops in that section of the parade recently.
A spokeswoman for the police said: “Police were called by the London Ambulance Service at 14:11hrs on Thursday, March 16 to reports of an explosion at an address in Swain’s Lane, N6.
- 1 How did a double-decker bus crash straight into a Crouch End house?
- 2 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 3 Spot the '90s pop stars in the Never Mind the Buzzcocks identity parade
- 4 'It's devastating': Golders Green mother speaks out about rare genetic disease
- 5 Russia 'responsible for assassinating' Muswell Hill resident Litvinenko
- 6 Puppy pampering, parties and pastry: Inside Hampstead's Dandie Dog Cafe
- 7 'Lobster-like creature' pulled from Hampstead Heath ladies' pond
- 8 Old Hampstead police station sold by Department for Education at £4m loss
- 9 Explore 8 of north London's prettiest streets
- 10 Christmas at Kenwood: 'Winter wonderland' primed for Hampstead Heath
“London’s Air Ambulance attended and took a man, aged in his 50s, to an east London hospital. He was later pronounced dead.
“His next of kin are aware.
“The area is cordoned off and officers remain on scene.
“The Health and Safety Executive has been informed.
No arrests have been made. Enquiries continue”.
A spokesman for the HSE said: “The Health and Safety Executive is aware of an incident that took place today at Swains Lane, Camden and is in communication with the emergency services.”