SWAIN’S LANE EXPLOSION: Man critically injured dies in hospital
- Credit: Archant
The man who was critically injured in an explosion in Swain’s Lane has died.
Police remain at the building site on the corner of Swain’s lane and Highgate West Hill after the loud explosion at 2pm this afternoon.
A man in his 50’s was taken to an east London hospital and later pronounced dead. His next of kin have been informed.
Emergency services including two fire engines, paramedics and an air ambulance went to the scene this afternoon.
Witnesses said they heard a “huge explosion” and there was a strong smell of gas near the site.
You may also want to watch:
The area is being developed by Nobel House who started demolishing the former shops in that section of the parade recently.
A spokeswoman for the police said: “Police were called by the London Ambulance Service at 14:11hrs on Thursday, March 16 to reports of an explosion at an address in Swain’s Lane, N6.
- 1 Hampstead creperies told to close by Camden Council because of 'Covid risk'
- 2 Teenager dies after stabbing in Archway
- 3 Royal Free calls in the army as 'unprecedented' demand continues
- 4 Ole & Steen bakery set to open in Hampstead's former Café Rouge
- 5 Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta echoes players' support for absent Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang
- 6 Arsenal face a crucial week as they bid to start pushing on
- 7 Police mourn 'devoted' Camden constable who died from Covid
- 8 HS2 tunnel protesters evicted in 'siege' outside Euston Station
- 9 We must take the vaccine to protect the BAME community
- 10 MPs challenge Hampstead Heath ponds swimming charges hike
“London’s Air Ambulance attended and took a man, aged in his 50s, to an east London hospital. He was later pronounced dead.
“His next of kin are aware.
“The area is cordoned off and officers remain on scene.
“The Health and Safety Executive has been informed.
No arrests have been made. Enquiries continue”.
A spokesman for the HSE said: “The Health and Safety Executive is aware of an incident that took place today at Swains Lane, Camden and is in communication with the emergency services.”