Suspicious package found in Finchley Road post office
- Credit: Archant
A parade of shops was sealed off by police today after a suspicious package was found inside WH Smith.
About 10 police and paramedics were called to Finchley Road at lunchtime today after the discovery of “a large, suspicious package” at the post office counter at 12:30pm.
A 100m cordon sealed off a section of Harben Parade with pedestrians and onlookers told to leave the area while workers and shoppers inside nine shops were not allowed to leave.
Post Office workers could be seen outside WH Smith store with one visibly shaken woman being comforted by an officer.
A 25-year-old woman – released from Boots after about an hour inside – said: “There are lots of things going on around London recently. I think it’s nothing too big, but you have to be careful.”
You may also want to watch:
Speaking 90 minutes after the package was reported, a Met spokesman said: “It wasn’t a viable device.”
- 1 Lane closure scrapped after high pollution readings double
- 2 Falling stonework narrowly misses outdoor diners at Crouch End cafe
- 3 British fencing great Richard Kruse announces retirement
- 4 Obituary: 'Striking and beautiful' north London mother Mary Collins
- 5 House Tour Gayton Road: Split-level mid-century gem in Hampstead
- 6 In numbers: the Covid-19 vaccine roll-out in north London
- 7 Haringey Council leader ousted by rival in Labour group vote
- 8 Hampstead man jailed for pub 'revenge attack' on Jewish Tory barrister
- 9 Hundreds oppose Hampstead Heath dog walker licence scheme
- 10 Owner mourns Highgate station’s beloved black cat