Suspicious package found in Finchley Road post office
- Credit: Archant
A parade of shops was sealed off by police today after a suspicious package was found inside WH Smith.
About 10 police and paramedics were called to Finchley Road at lunchtime today after the discovery of “a large, suspicious package” at the post office counter at 12:30pm.
A 100m cordon sealed off a section of Harben Parade with pedestrians and onlookers told to leave the area while workers and shoppers inside nine shops were not allowed to leave.
Post Office workers could be seen outside WH Smith store with one visibly shaken woman being comforted by an officer.
A 25-year-old woman – released from Boots after about an hour inside – said: “There are lots of things going on around London recently. I think it’s nothing too big, but you have to be careful.”
You may also want to watch:
Speaking 90 minutes after the package was reported, a Met spokesman said: “It wasn’t a viable device.”
- 1 'Let's save The Victoria pub in Highgate'
- 2 Hundreds gather on Primrose Hill to mourn Nicole Hurley
- 3 Primrose Hill candlelight vigil to celebrate life of Nicole Hurley
- 4 Kentish Town teen creates football team to 'bring community together'
- 5 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 6 Koko to return with extra venues and community spaces for musicians
- 7 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 8 Hampstead Miss Universe GB finalist champions mixed-heritage representation
- 9 Former pupils launch creative fund to honour inspirational teacher
- 10 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill