Suspicious package found in Finchley Road post office
- Credit: Archant
A parade of shops was sealed off by police today after a suspicious package was found inside WH Smith.
About 10 police and paramedics were called to Finchley Road at lunchtime today after the discovery of “a large, suspicious package” at the post office counter at 12:30pm.
A 100m cordon sealed off a section of Harben Parade with pedestrians and onlookers told to leave the area while workers and shoppers inside nine shops were not allowed to leave.
Post Office workers could be seen outside WH Smith store with one visibly shaken woman being comforted by an officer.
A 25-year-old woman – released from Boots after about an hour inside – said: “There are lots of things going on around London recently. I think it’s nothing too big, but you have to be careful.”
You may also want to watch:
Speaking 90 minutes after the package was reported, a Met spokesman said: “It wasn’t a viable device.”
- 1 Hampstead creperies told to close by Camden Council because of 'Covid risk'
- 2 Teenager dies after stabbing in Archway
- 3 Ole & Steen bakery set to open in Hampstead's former Café Rouge
- 4 Royal Free calls in the army as 'unprecedented' demand continues
- 5 Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta echoes players' support for absent Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang
- 6 Arsenal face a crucial week as they bid to start pushing on
- 7 MPs challenge Hampstead Heath ponds swimming charges hike
- 8 Man detained after series of attacks on women in Hampstead
- 9 Archway murder investigation launched as 15-year-old victim named
- 10 Police mourn 'devoted' Camden constable who died from Covid