Suspicious package found in Finchley Road post office
- Credit: Archant
A parade of shops was sealed off by police today after a suspicious package was found inside WH Smith.
About 10 police and paramedics were called to Finchley Road at lunchtime today after the discovery of “a large, suspicious package” at the post office counter at 12:30pm.
A 100m cordon sealed off a section of Harben Parade with pedestrians and onlookers told to leave the area while workers and shoppers inside nine shops were not allowed to leave.
Post Office workers could be seen outside WH Smith store with one visibly shaken woman being comforted by an officer.
A 25-year-old woman – released from Boots after about an hour inside – said: “There are lots of things going on around London recently. I think it’s nothing too big, but you have to be careful.”
You may also want to watch:
Speaking 90 minutes after the package was reported, a Met spokesman said: “It wasn’t a viable device.”
- 1 'Safe and secure home' - Camden takes landlord to court over eviction threat
- 2 Car driver arrested after crash with van in Camden Town
- 3 Charitable hospital set to open new £35m wing
- 4 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 5 Man charged with indecent exposure and voyeurism in West Hampstead
- 6 Thames Water 'sorry' after Finchley Road diversion sees cars damaged
- 7 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 8 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 9 Anger over Thames Water and Westminster Council's flash floods response
- 10 Camden councillors rally against constituency boundary changes