Suspected drink-driver arrested after pedestrian dies in ‘hit and run’ in Camden
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
A man has been arrested on suspicion of drunk and dangerous driving and failing to stop after a 25-year-old was in collision with a car outside Camden Road station on Sunday morning.
Police were called at 8:50am after the male pedestrian suffered fatal injuries in the collision in Camden Road, at the junction with Royal College Street.
Paramedics attended, but the victim, who has not yet been named, was pronounced dead at the scene.
Police said the vehicle failed to stop and officers, with help from the Metropolitan police helicopter and witnesses on the ground, traced the car to Finchley Road, in Swiss Cottage.
A spokesman from Scotland Yard said: “A man was subsequently arrested near the vehicle on suspicion of death by dangerous driving, driving with excess alcohol and failing to stop.”
He is being questioned at a central London police station.
The victim’s next of kin have been informed but he has not been formally identified.
- 1 Walking book club: Hampstead Heath, Death and The Penguin
- 2 Major tube strike to follow Queen's Platinum Jubilee long weekend
- 3 Hampstead Town's first Labour councillor stands down weeks into office
- 4 Calls for removal of South End Green phone box
- 5 Highgate pub landlords to appeal restrictive licence approval
- 6 Olympic ace opens Highgate primary school's new running track
- 7 Campaign launched after girl suffers fractured ribs from e-scooter crash
- 8 Five jailed after 'cold blooded' murder of Enfield father
- 9 Belsize Village restaurant hires young Ukrainian refugee
- 10 Man wanted after serious assault in Sussex 'may live in Camden'
A post mortem is due to take place before an inquest is opened into the death.
Surrounding roads remained closed on Sunday causing traffic chaos in the area during the football match between Arsenal and Everton at the Emirates Stadium.
Anyone with information is asked to call police on 020 8991 9555 or the police non-emergency line on 101.