Support for Highgate Cemetery volunteers is worldwide
BUT for the sweat and vision of a small band of volunteers, Highgate Cemetery would be a dilapidated and desecrated site, disowned by its own local council (which it still is). Volunteers and staff put the privacy and dignity of graveowners, regardless
BUT for the sweat and vision of a small band of volunteers, Highgate Cemetery would be a dilapidated and desecrated site, disowned by its own local council (which it still is).
Volunteers and staff put the privacy and dignity of graveowners, regardless of religion, ethnicity or nationality, above all else .
This 'pomposity', as Miss Bright prefers to call it (Cemetery bites the hand that feeds it, H&H letters January 18), is appreciated worldwide by supporters and graveowners: it is to them we owe our first duty, because we are still a working cemetery, and not simply ''a tourist attraction''.
Income from our activities helps maintain the cemetery for public benefit, not profit or gain, a substantial cost met by thousands of donors.
You may also want to watch:
Many of these are indeed tourists, and we are very grateful for their support, with which we will continue to preserve our national heritage, despite misdirected local criticism.
Cllr John Oakes
- 1 Highgate mental illness charity sees 'desperation' rise during Covid year
- 2 Two men charged after police find 'gun, cash and drugs' in Brent Cross flat
- 3 Labour's Sadiq Khan wins London mayoral election
- 4 North London nurses: 1% NHS pay offer is a 'kick in the teeth'
- 5 London elections 2021 live: Latest results as they come in
- 6 Owner mourns Highgate station’s beloved black cat
- 7 Arteta asks Arsenal to use 'pain' to punish West Brom
- 8 Police officer suffers leg injury after BMW stopped during 'routine patrol'
- 9 Toilets, the Ponds, Streatery, Nazanin and Palestine
- 10 London Assembly elections: Camden, Barnet and Haringey's candidates
Trustee, Friends of Highgate Cemetery