Such a bumpy ride on our neglected 'dirt road'
Maybe the recent blanket of snow heightened the contrast, but the condition of Fellows Road – especially between Winchester Avenue and Merton Rise – is abysmal. It is no exaggeration to say that I have experienced less bumpy rides on Caribbean dirt roads
Maybe the recent blanket of snow heightened the contrast, but the condition of Fellows Road - especially between Winchester Avenue and Merton Rise - is abysmal.
It is no exaggeration to say that I have experienced less bumpy rides on Caribbean dirt roads. I am informed by a local Lib Dem, Cllr Rowell, that the decision was taken to defer any re-surfacing pending completion of the Winchester Avenue development.
That's news to me. So, having experienced the raised levels of traffic, noise, pollution and disruption from the Chalcots estate refurbishment over the last four years, we are now asked to wait for attention to a basic amenity for however long it takes for the new development to finish. A convenient, but unconvincing excuse. Fine for the developers; easy for the council.
Eton Avenue was re-surfaced two or more years ago. Fellows Road is just allowed to deteriorate. Cllr Rowell also claims kudos for the improvement to Chalcots. However, I believe it was the previous administration which initiated that.
You may also want to watch:
It is also little comfort to other residents of the road paying their council tax who also have to maintain their own properties out of their own pockets. This is truly the Cinderella road of the area.
Perhaps the current administration believes there are no votes in it. I hope my fellow residents will show them otherwise at the next election.
- 1 Teenager dies after stabbing in Archway
- 2 Pictures: Fun for families as the snow arrives on Hampstead Heath
- 3 Man detained after series of attacks on women in Hampstead
- 4 The snow is beautiful and fun - but during Covid we must stick to the rules
- 5 Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta expecting another tough game against Southampton
- 6 South Hampstead neighbours mourn tree felled by Storm Christoph
- 7 Covid, O2, police, village square, Notting Hill Genesis and the Suburb
- 8 Women attacked by wrench-wielding man in Hampstead
- 9 Buyers claim luxury flats are 'nightmare' construction site
- 10 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes order scrapped by Camden Council
Fellows Road, NW3
q Road problems in your area? Write to Viewpoints, Ham&High, 100A Avenue Road, NW3 3HF or email firstname.lastname@example.org