Such a bumpy ride on our neglected 'dirt road'
Maybe the recent blanket of snow heightened the contrast, but the condition of Fellows Road – especially between Winchester Avenue and Merton Rise – is abysmal. It is no exaggeration to say that I have experienced less bumpy rides on Caribbean dirt roads
Maybe the recent blanket of snow heightened the contrast, but the condition of Fellows Road - especially between Winchester Avenue and Merton Rise - is abysmal.
It is no exaggeration to say that I have experienced less bumpy rides on Caribbean dirt roads. I am informed by a local Lib Dem, Cllr Rowell, that the decision was taken to defer any re-surfacing pending completion of the Winchester Avenue development.
That's news to me. So, having experienced the raised levels of traffic, noise, pollution and disruption from the Chalcots estate refurbishment over the last four years, we are now asked to wait for attention to a basic amenity for however long it takes for the new development to finish. A convenient, but unconvincing excuse. Fine for the developers; easy for the council.
Eton Avenue was re-surfaced two or more years ago. Fellows Road is just allowed to deteriorate. Cllr Rowell also claims kudos for the improvement to Chalcots. However, I believe it was the previous administration which initiated that.
You may also want to watch:
It is also little comfort to other residents of the road paying their council tax who also have to maintain their own properties out of their own pockets. This is truly the Cinderella road of the area.
Perhaps the current administration believes there are no votes in it. I hope my fellow residents will show them otherwise at the next election.
- 1 Lane closure scrapped after high pollution readings double
- 2 Falling stonework narrowly misses outdoor diners at Crouch End cafe
- 3 British fencing great Richard Kruse announces retirement
- 4 Obituary: 'Striking and beautiful' north London mother Mary Collins
- 5 House Tour Gayton Road: Split-level mid-century gem in Hampstead
- 6 In numbers: the Covid-19 vaccine roll-out in north London
- 7 Haringey Council leader ousted by rival in Labour group vote
- 8 Hampstead man jailed for pub 'revenge attack' on Jewish Tory barrister
- 9 Hundreds oppose Hampstead Heath dog walker licence scheme
- 10 Owner mourns Highgate station’s beloved black cat
Fellows Road, NW3
q Road problems in your area? Write to Viewpoints, Ham&High, 100A Avenue Road, NW3 3HF or email email@example.com