Such a bumpy ride on our neglected 'dirt road'
Maybe the recent blanket of snow heightened the contrast, but the condition of Fellows Road – especially between Winchester Avenue and Merton Rise – is abysmal. It is no exaggeration to say that I have experienced less bumpy rides on Caribbean dirt roads
Maybe the recent blanket of snow heightened the contrast, but the condition of Fellows Road - especially between Winchester Avenue and Merton Rise - is abysmal.
It is no exaggeration to say that I have experienced less bumpy rides on Caribbean dirt roads. I am informed by a local Lib Dem, Cllr Rowell, that the decision was taken to defer any re-surfacing pending completion of the Winchester Avenue development.
That's news to me. So, having experienced the raised levels of traffic, noise, pollution and disruption from the Chalcots estate refurbishment over the last four years, we are now asked to wait for attention to a basic amenity for however long it takes for the new development to finish. A convenient, but unconvincing excuse. Fine for the developers; easy for the council.
Eton Avenue was re-surfaced two or more years ago. Fellows Road is just allowed to deteriorate. Cllr Rowell also claims kudos for the improvement to Chalcots. However, I believe it was the previous administration which initiated that.
You may also want to watch:
It is also little comfort to other residents of the road paying their council tax who also have to maintain their own properties out of their own pockets. This is truly the Cinderella road of the area.
Perhaps the current administration believes there are no votes in it. I hope my fellow residents will show them otherwise at the next election.
- 1 Rabindranath Tagore's Hampstead home on the market for £2.65m
- 2 Hampstead house ravaged by early morning blaze
- 3 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 4 Hundreds of activists descend on north London incinerator demanding end to rebuild
- 5 Artist who captures North London's 'special light'
- 6 'It's madness': Queues block north London roads amid petrol shortage
- 7 Haverstock Hill petrol station 'assault' arrest as motorists queue for fuel
- 8 Man charged with Haringey murder and victim named
- 9 Pure Gym to open in Crouch End
- 10 Meet the entrepreneur helping Londoners find the cool dining spots
Fellows Road, NW3
q Road problems in your area? Write to Viewpoints, Ham&High, 100A Avenue Road, NW3 3HF or email email@example.com