Student's sudden death in Camden nightclub
THE parents of a first-year student who died after collapsing at a Camden Town club have spoken of their anguish. Tom Reid, 19, died from sudden arrhythmic death syndrome (SADS) during a freshers party at Koko on September 27, an inquest heard on Tuesday
THE parents of a first-year student who died after collapsing at a Camden Town club have spoken of their anguish.
Tom Reid, 19, died from sudden arrhythmic death syndrome (SADS) during a freshers' party at Koko on September 27, an inquest heard on Tuesday.
Shortly before his death, he had complained to a friend that the loud bass music was "getting to his heart" and making it beat faster than normal.
After a verdict at St Pancras Coroner's Court of death by natural causes, parents Halina and Antony Reid slammed newspapers which originally reported that his death was due to alcohol poisoning.
You may also want to watch:
In a statement, they said: "His death nearly destroyed us too. Imagine our anguish, when within hours, news reports such as 'Student dies of alcohol poisoning' were released online.
"These articles were utterly distasteful and abhorrent at such a difficult time.
- 1 Developer's plan for six houses in old pub car park in Highgate Hill
- 2 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 3 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 4 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 5 Helen McCrory: 'Mighty' Tufnell Park actress dies aged 52
- 6 Hampstead robberies: Inside the police chase which caught 8 violent criminals
- 7 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
- 8 Hampstead Literary Society launched - and looking for exciting writers
- 9 Hampstead Ballet School star wins place at Bolshoi academy in Moscow
- 10 For Nazanin's sake, hostage-taking must be a nuclear deal issue
"These reports were unfounded and showed an absolute lack of respect towards Tom's family and friends.
"What a sad indictment of our society that it was automatically assumed Tom's death was alcohol related - just because he was in a club with friends having fun."
There were no traces of drugs or alcohol in Tom's body and his heart was in a good condition, the inquest heard.
His parents added: "Prior to Tom's death, we had never heard of sudden arrhythmic death syndrome. We still find it incomprehensible how a fit and healthy young man - with no previous medical issues - can just collapse and die."
Each week, SADS claims the lives of 12 young people in this country.