Student's sudden death in Camden nightclub
THE parents of a first-year student who died after collapsing at a Camden Town club have spoken of their anguish. Tom Reid, 19, died from sudden arrhythmic death syndrome (SADS) during a freshers party at Koko on September 27, an inquest heard on Tuesday
THE parents of a first-year student who died after collapsing at a Camden Town club have spoken of their anguish.
Tom Reid, 19, died from sudden arrhythmic death syndrome (SADS) during a freshers' party at Koko on September 27, an inquest heard on Tuesday.
Shortly before his death, he had complained to a friend that the loud bass music was "getting to his heart" and making it beat faster than normal.
After a verdict at St Pancras Coroner's Court of death by natural causes, parents Halina and Antony Reid slammed newspapers which originally reported that his death was due to alcohol poisoning.
You may also want to watch:
In a statement, they said: "His death nearly destroyed us too. Imagine our anguish, when within hours, news reports such as 'Student dies of alcohol poisoning' were released online.
"These articles were utterly distasteful and abhorrent at such a difficult time.
- 1 Anger over Thames Water and Westminster Council's flash floods response
- 2 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 3 Man charged with indecent exposure and voyeurism in West Hampstead
- 4 'Something out of Blade Runner?' BT eyes screen near cinema
- 5 O2 Centre: Developer says it 'will listen' but still aiming for 1,900 homes
- 6 Hampstead 'business hero' honoured for work with Soho Dairy street stall
- 7 CQC says Royal Free 'comprehensively responded' to maternity issues
- 8 Camden councillors rally against constituency boundary changes
- 9 Suburb couple start canal concerts with afternoon tea
- 10 Convicted terrorist sent back to jail after bin lorry breach
"These reports were unfounded and showed an absolute lack of respect towards Tom's family and friends.
"What a sad indictment of our society that it was automatically assumed Tom's death was alcohol related - just because he was in a club with friends having fun."
There were no traces of drugs or alcohol in Tom's body and his heart was in a good condition, the inquest heard.
His parents added: "Prior to Tom's death, we had never heard of sudden arrhythmic death syndrome. We still find it incomprehensible how a fit and healthy young man - with no previous medical issues - can just collapse and die."
Each week, SADS claims the lives of 12 young people in this country.