Student, 17, debates Hornsey and Wood Green MP Catherine West on Brexit
- Credit: Archant
A devoted remain MP was quizzed this week by a young Brexiteer during a politics summer school.
Alexandra Park School student Bradley Roper engaged Hornsey and Wood Green MP Catherine West in friendly debate over Brexit in a week which saw a group of youngsters from across the constituency tour the Palace of Westminster and meet members of the shadow cabinet, whips and backbench MPs.
Speaking at the end of the three days, Bradley, 17, said: “I definitely enjoyed the debate. It’s not much fun if everyone agrees with you. I’m very uncomfortable about laws not being made within UK borders.”
Commenting on the school, Fortismere student Robbie Campbell, 17, said: “I found it very interesting. It’s inpsired me to follow politics further.”
And after a presentation ceremony which saw the youngsters awarded certificates, Robbie’s mother Ann said: “It’s such a fantastic opportunity for young people. It wasn’t just about the politics that goes on in the House of Commons and that’s quite interesting for young people.”
You may also want to watch:
Ms West said: “I am delighted this inaugural summer school has run smoothly and given young people the opportunity to immerse themselves in the political world.
“I hope many of them will consider standing for public office in the future,” she added.
- 1 Suburb couple start canal concerts with afternoon tea
- 2 'Something out of Blade Runner?' BT eyes screen near cinema
- 3 O2 Centre: Developer says it 'will listen' but still aiming for 1,900 homes
- 4 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 5 Thames Water 'sorry' after Finchley Road diversion sees cars damaged
- 6 Spoiler: Cycling up Haverstock Hill is hard work
- 7 Muswell Hill club wins 'Premier League' of junior chess
- 8 Winter closure of Royal Free kids A&E 'boosted Covid resilience' – NHS report
- 9 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 10 Ally Pally and Highgate's abandoned station star in new children's book