Strangler brother admits 65 new robberies
LONDON'S most prolific robber in recent memory whose victims included wealthy Hampstead and St John's Wood women has been sentenced to 28 years in jail. Yesterday (Wednesday) Daniel Mykoo, 29, was jailed at Wood Green Crown Court for a stag
LONDON'S most prolific robber in recent memory whose victims included wealthy Hampstead and St John's Wood women has been sentenced to 28 years in jail.
Yesterday (Wednesday) Daniel Mykoo, 29, was jailed at Wood Green Crown Court for a staggering total of 84 robberies, dating back to 1999.
Mykoo stole around �600,000 worth of jewellery targeting mainly lone and vulnerable women by violently throttling them.
His brother Matthew, 27, of Brent, who often formed part of the "strangulation robber" team was also sentenced to an unlimited spell behind bars for public protection.
Sentencing the pair Judge Nicholas Browne QC said the violence was "chilling," "viscous," "numbing" and "gratuitous".
- 1 Walking book club: Hampstead Heath, Death and The Penguin
- 2 Hampstead Town's first Labour councillor stands down weeks into office
- 3 Five jailed after 'cold blooded' murder of Enfield father
- 4 Highgate pub landlords to appeal restrictive licence approval
- 5 Olympic ace opens Highgate primary school's new running track
- 6 Major tube strike to follow Queen's Platinum Jubilee long weekend
- 7 Calls for removal of South End Green phone box
- 8 5 of the best things to do with kids in north London
- 9 Campaign launched after girl suffers fractured ribs from e-scooter crash
- 10 Belsize Village restaurant hires young Ukrainian refugee
He told the pair: "You have committed strangulation robberies which are in a league of their own.
"That you were both high on crack cocaine is no excuse. It is by sheer good fortune that you did not kill, permanently injure or maim any one of your victims.
"There are other features of this case which place these robberies quite simply in a different category and the worst that I have ever encountered.
"Your victims were deliberately selected in the more prosperous parts of London, precisely because they were spotted by you wearing valuable watches, rings, earrings as well as carrying designer label handbags."
The court heard how Daniel, of Fulham, would throttle his victims, many of whom passed out, and then an accomplice, who was Matthew on eight occasions, would rip off their rings, earrings and watches.
Many of the victims, one of whom was pregnant at the time, told of how they were terrified they would die or be subjected to an horrific sexual assault.
Hampstead fashion mogul Nicole Farhi, another of Daniel's prey, told the court she thought she would be killed on the doorstep of her home.
The mugging of Ms Farhi on April 24 2008 was one of the 19 robberies between March and June last year Daniel had initially pleaded guilty too.
But, in what the police said was an unprecedented move, he came forward and admitted another 65 muggings, 50 of which were his trademark strangulation robberies. Detectives are still trying to identify some of the offences in their records.
Many of those offences, which had remained unsolved until now, took place in and around Hampstead.
Daniel Mykoo, who must serve a minimum of 14 years, told the court he had owned up to all the muggings for the sake of 'himself and for the victims'.
The court heard how the brothers would take their loot to pawn shops and jewellers where they would raise cash to fund their �6,000 a month drug habits.
Extracts from impact statements of many victims were read out the court. Victim Jessica Hamilton, who still has nightmares, summed up their terror. She said: "I thought he was going to kill me. I would not wish that experience on my worst enemy. I have lost my independence."
Speaking outside court Det Con Reg Pickering who headed the investigation said: "It is very important these two men are locked up for a long time. The longer they are off the streets the better it is for everyone."
Some of their victims were in court to see the attackers jailed.
Matthew Mykoo, who was convicted of nine robberies between March and June last year, must serve a minimum of nine years before he can be considered for release.