Neighbours fear for children’s safety as park’s manhole cover keeps being stolen
- Credit: Archant
An open manhole in the middle of a kids’ play area in Muswell Hill has neighbours fearing for children’s safety – because its cover keeps being nicked.
Reports about the missing manhole cover, near the skate park in Muswell Hill Playing Fields, has attracted complaints dating back two years.
Haringey Council’s parks team has been left checking the site daily until a new heavy duty cover can be installed.
Mary Russell, 59, said: “It’s disgusting. I’ve phoned and phoned and emailed them and I just do not get anywhere.
“It’s half term so the park will be rammed but no one seems to be taking it seriously.”
You may also want to watch:
Mary said she was told by a council spokesperson a fortnight ago that the problem had been sorted – but, since sending a photo that proved this was untrue, she has heard nothing.
She added that at one point the area was taped off but kids soon took the barrier down.
- 1 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 2 'Silver lining of lockdown': Blockheads saxophonist brings Muswell Hill cheer
- 3 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 4 Wac Arts: West End stars among ex-students who can 'no longer endorse' charity
- 5 Highgate reopens: Pubs and salons 'elated' to be back as lockdown eases
- 6 Column: Major changes expected at Tottenham in the summer?
- 7 Child artworks breathe life into Hampstead Heath and Gospel Oak bridge
- 8 Crackdown on 'blue badge' disability parking fraud in Haringey
- 9 'It's a godsend': Hampstead pubs and shops back serving the community
- 10 For sale: Edwardian home in East Finchley with south-facing garden
She told the Broadway: “I don’t know what’s going on with Haringey Council. On top of this the grass is about 3ft tall and there’s stinging nettles in the children’s park.
“Last Bank Holiday I was so worried I wanted to sit over there to stop children falling in.”
A Haringey Council spokesman said: “We are aware of a manhole cover being stolen from Muswell Hill Playing Fields and have placed an urgent order for a new heavy duty cover that can be bolted down to make it harder to remove.
“The replacement cover is due to be delivered and installed early next week.
“In the meantime, we have been covering the manhole with wooden pallets and marking the area off with hazard tape.”
But, he added: “Because we believe people have been removing the temporary covers, our parks team is visiting daily to check on the site and re-cover the manhole when necessary.”