St Mary’s nurses’ skydive plunge for Paddington hospital’s neonatal unit
Daring nurse Mhara Caronongan, pictured, took her life in her hands when she plunged tens of thousands of feet to earth from a plane to raise vital funds for her hospital.
She was one of three neonatal nurses to make the perilous skydive with an instructor in aid of the Winnicott Foundation, a charity supporting the neonatal units at St Mary’s Hospital, Paddington, and Queen Charlotte’s & Chelsea Hospital, in Shepherd’s Bush.
Mhara and colleagues Jeannine Pompon and Nicola Buckthorp all work in the Winnicott Baby Unit at St Mary’s, caring for babies born premature or sick, supporting babies and families throughtheir time in hospital.
They aim to raise �3,000 from their hair-raising endeavour.
Mhara said: “We work with an amazing team who deal with day-to-day challenges when an infant is born too early, too small, too fragile or too sick but yet is still a huge bundle of joy to their families.”
You may also want to watch:
Jeannine, a senior sister at the unit, added: “It was the first time any of us has done a skydive. We were all smiles afterwards as we were so pleased to have done it. It wasn’t scary – it was good fun, and we’re so happy to be raising money for our neonatal units.”
To support the nurses’ fundraising efforts, visit Mhara’s Just Giving page at www.justgiving.com/Mharaskydive.
- 1 Explore 8 of north London's prettiest streets
- 2 O2 Centre redevelopment: Decision draws on Camden planning guidance
- 3 'Family unit': 28 Church Row wins readers' favourite restaurant
- 4 Crouch End salesman who nursed mum runs marathon for Diabetes UK
- 5 'The Bell of Hampstead': New pub to take over Cork and Bottle site
- 6 Anger as second audit into £23m 'Mary Celeste' office block is delayed
- 7 'Survived the storm': West Hampstead's The Alliance Pub wins reader's poll
- 8 Free festival to take over the streets of Camden
- 9 Haringey Green Lanes flat fire sees 40 firefighters tackle blaze
- 10 Christmas at Kenwood: 'Winter wonderland' primed for Hampstead Heath