St Mary’s nurses’ skydive plunge for Paddington hospital’s neonatal unit
Daring nurse Mhara Caronongan, pictured, took her life in her hands when she plunged tens of thousands of feet to earth from a plane to raise vital funds for her hospital.
She was one of three neonatal nurses to make the perilous skydive with an instructor in aid of the Winnicott Foundation, a charity supporting the neonatal units at St Mary’s Hospital, Paddington, and Queen Charlotte’s & Chelsea Hospital, in Shepherd’s Bush.
Mhara and colleagues Jeannine Pompon and Nicola Buckthorp all work in the Winnicott Baby Unit at St Mary’s, caring for babies born premature or sick, supporting babies and families throughtheir time in hospital.
They aim to raise �3,000 from their hair-raising endeavour.
Mhara said: “We work with an amazing team who deal with day-to-day challenges when an infant is born too early, too small, too fragile or too sick but yet is still a huge bundle of joy to their families.”
You may also want to watch:
Jeannine, a senior sister at the unit, added: “It was the first time any of us has done a skydive. We were all smiles afterwards as we were so pleased to have done it. It wasn’t scary – it was good fun, and we’re so happy to be raising money for our neonatal units.”
To support the nurses’ fundraising efforts, visit Mhara’s Just Giving page at www.justgiving.com/Mharaskydive.
- 1 Hampstead creperies told to close by Camden Council because of 'Covid risk'
- 2 Teenager dies after stabbing in Archway
- 3 Ole & Steen bakery set to open in Hampstead's former Café Rouge
- 4 Royal Free calls in the army as 'unprecedented' demand continues
- 5 Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta echoes players' support for absent Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang
- 6 Police mourn 'devoted' Camden constable who died from Covid
- 7 Arsenal face a crucial week as they bid to start pushing on
- 8 HS2 tunnel protesters evicted in 'siege' outside Euston Station
- 9 We must take the vaccine to protect the BAME community
- 10 MPs challenge Hampstead Heath ponds swimming charges hike