St Jude’s storm: Large tree suddenly falls days after ferocious winds outside University College School
- Credit: Nigel Sutton
A large tree suddenly crashed down into the road outside a school after being weakened in the ferocious St Jude’s storm earlier this week.
The London Plane toppled over in Frognal, Hampstead, yards from University College School yesterday.
Residents said it was lucky the street has been quieter than usual this week, with fewer cars and pedestrians because the school is on its half-term holidays.
Frognal resident Matt McCarthy said: “Obviously, it’s lucky that UCS is closed as usually the road is very busy and clearly potentially there could’ve been a very serious accident.”
Daniel Gvirtzman, another Frognal resident, said: “I arrived home 20 minutes before it fell and parked about 10 feet from where it fell.
You may also want to watch:
“If I had parked further up the road, it would have been curtains.”
- 1 Covid, O2, police, village square, Notting Hill Genesis and the Suburb
- 2 Pictures: Fun for families as the snow arrives on Hampstead Heath
- 3 Women attacked by wrench-wielding man in Hampstead
- 4 South Hampstead neighbours mourn tree felled by Storm Christoph
- 5 Keeping your distance: Hampstead joggers and creperie crowds
- 6 Buyers claim luxury flats are 'nightmare' construction site
- 7 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes order scrapped by Camden Council
- 8 'Big victory,' says man behind Haverstock Hill cycle lanes legal challenge
- 9 Camden residents offered symptom-free Covid testing
- 10 Ice cream shop supporting freelancers opens in Primose Hill