St Jude’s storm: Large tree suddenly falls days after ferocious winds outside University College School
- Credit: Nigel Sutton
A large tree suddenly crashed down into the road outside a school after being weakened in the ferocious St Jude’s storm earlier this week.
The London Plane toppled over in Frognal, Hampstead, yards from University College School yesterday.
Residents said it was lucky the street has been quieter than usual this week, with fewer cars and pedestrians because the school is on its half-term holidays.
Frognal resident Matt McCarthy said: “Obviously, it’s lucky that UCS is closed as usually the road is very busy and clearly potentially there could’ve been a very serious accident.”
Daniel Gvirtzman, another Frognal resident, said: “I arrived home 20 minutes before it fell and parked about 10 feet from where it fell.
You may also want to watch:
“If I had parked further up the road, it would have been curtains.”
- 1 Burger King launches its first 'dark kitchen' for north London deliveries
- 2 Arrests made after reports of antisemitic abuse in St John's Wood
- 3 Residents bid farewell to Highgate Station’s beloved black cat
- 4 The Magdala returns as pubs and restaurants reopen indoors on May 17
- 5 Indian variant of Covid-19 - what's the situation in London?
- 6 Barnet councillor leaves Tory group over 'personal matter'
- 7 Zookeeper's sponsored swim as London Zoo reopens indoor areas
- 8 Lane closure scrapped after high pollution readings double
- 9 Haringey Council leader ousted by rival in Labour group vote
- 10 Singing in a choir can 'change the world and boost mental health'