St Jude’s storm: Large tree suddenly falls days after ferocious winds outside University College School
- Credit: Nigel Sutton
A large tree suddenly crashed down into the road outside a school after being weakened in the ferocious St Jude’s storm earlier this week.
The London Plane toppled over in Frognal, Hampstead, yards from University College School yesterday.
Residents said it was lucky the street has been quieter than usual this week, with fewer cars and pedestrians because the school is on its half-term holidays.
Frognal resident Matt McCarthy said: “Obviously, it’s lucky that UCS is closed as usually the road is very busy and clearly potentially there could’ve been a very serious accident.”
Daniel Gvirtzman, another Frognal resident, said: “I arrived home 20 minutes before it fell and parked about 10 feet from where it fell.
You may also want to watch:
“If I had parked further up the road, it would have been curtains.”
- 1 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 2 'We've been forgotten': Homeless Muswell Hill family demand action
- 3 ‘I was livid': Outrage as Camden homeless man sprayed with hose
- 4 Mayor of Camden joins West Hampstead Primary School renaming fair
- 5 Police name Newham man fatally shot in Haringey
- 6 How did a double-decker bus crash straight into a Crouch End house?
- 7 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 8 'Land grab': Muswell Hill Gail's accused of taking over pavement
- 9 New Jewish Fringe festival comes to Golders Green
- 10 Crunch! Eliana and Ariella's granola business success