St John’s Wood hospice launch free programme to help elderly recover from falls
- Credit: Archant
A free physio class for people recovering from falls is launching in St John’s Wood.
Grove End Road hopsice the Hospital of St John and St Elizabeth is launching a programme called Steady On Your Feet to help older people regain confidence after falls and fall-related injuries.
A spokesperson for the hospice said: “With an ageing population, this issue is set to intensify in the coming years. Our physiotherapy unit has been looking at ways to address falls in the local community.”
The programme begins with an one-on-one evaluation with a therapist before eight weeks of exercise classes focussed on improving balance and strength.
Based on pilot classes, the hospice say 80 per cent of participants have improved their Berg Balance score, which measures the risk of falling.
You may also want to watch:
A taster session takes place on Wednesday 23 January ahead of a full launch in March.
For more information, contact The Physiotherapy Unit by email at email@example.com or call 020 7806 4010.
- 1 Explore 8 of north London's prettiest streets
- 2 'The Bell of Hampstead': New pub to take over Cork and Bottle site
- 3 O2 Centre redevelopment: Decision draws on Camden planning guidance
- 4 Four charged following reports of antisemitism in St John's Wood
- 5 'Family unit': 28 Church Row wins readers' favourite restaurant
- 6 Discover Crouch End's very own cathedral
- 7 Anger as second audit into £23m 'Mary Celeste' office block is delayed
- 8 London Marathon and charity event in aid of Diabetes UK
- 9 'Lobster-like creature' pulled from Hampstead Heath ladies' pond
- 10 'It's devastating': Golders Green mother speaks out about rare genetic disease