St John’s Wood hospice launch free programme to help elderly recover from falls
- Credit: Archant
A free physio class for people recovering from falls is launching in St John’s Wood.
Grove End Road hopsice the Hospital of St John and St Elizabeth is launching a programme called Steady On Your Feet to help older people regain confidence after falls and fall-related injuries.
A spokesperson for the hospice said: “With an ageing population, this issue is set to intensify in the coming years. Our physiotherapy unit has been looking at ways to address falls in the local community.”
The programme begins with an one-on-one evaluation with a therapist before eight weeks of exercise classes focussed on improving balance and strength.
Based on pilot classes, the hospice say 80 per cent of participants have improved their Berg Balance score, which measures the risk of falling.
You may also want to watch:
A taster session takes place on Wednesday 23 January ahead of a full launch in March.
For more information, contact The Physiotherapy Unit by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 020 7806 4010.
- 1 Covid-19 Delta variant cases rising in north London
- 2 Camden Town Brewery's new Bavarian Beer Hall opens in Kentish Town
- 3 Jimmy C obituary: Crouch End blues musician who 'brought so much love'
- 4 What Paulo Fonseca means for Tottenham Hotspur?
- 5 Rift over nursery plan for play area outside of Hornsey block
- 6 New headteachers at Harris Academy St John's Wood and Camden School for Girls
- 7 Quality Indian take-away fresh from Crouch End's 'Bazaar'
- 8 Home of the Week: Four bedroom maisonette with period features for sale in Belsize Park
- 9 81-year-old paints her way to fourth book since lockdown
- 10 Former England star Nick Compton visits North London Cricket Club