St John’s Wood hospice launch free programme to help elderly recover from falls
- Credit: Archant
A free physio class for people recovering from falls is launching in St John’s Wood.
Grove End Road hopsice the Hospital of St John and St Elizabeth is launching a programme called Steady On Your Feet to help older people regain confidence after falls and fall-related injuries.
A spokesperson for the hospice said: “With an ageing population, this issue is set to intensify in the coming years. Our physiotherapy unit has been looking at ways to address falls in the local community.”
The programme begins with an one-on-one evaluation with a therapist before eight weeks of exercise classes focussed on improving balance and strength.
Based on pilot classes, the hospice say 80 per cent of participants have improved their Berg Balance score, which measures the risk of falling.
You may also want to watch:
A taster session takes place on Wednesday 23 January ahead of a full launch in March.
For more information, contact The Physiotherapy Unit by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 020 7806 4010.
- 1 Armed police search Tube at Finchley Road and find 'imitation' gun
- 2 Brian Rose: Who is the London mayoral candidate in the suit on the billboards?
- 3 Teenage girls charged with Hampstead robberies
- 4 Camden Council seeks to honour Covid-19 pandemic heroes
- 5 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 6 Hampstead Heath bosses look for injunction power to stop bad behaviour
- 7 'Big elephant's backside': David Hare and Nicole Farhi slam house plans
- 8 Buyers launch legal action after £75k bill for flammable cladding
- 9 Mary Feilding Guild: New Highgate owner claims 'widespread Legionella'
- 10 HIV 'progress is stalling' says Royal Free doctor who consulted on It's A Sin