St John’s Wood hospice launch free programme to help elderly recover from falls
- Credit: Archant
A free physio class for people recovering from falls is launching in St John’s Wood.
Grove End Road hopsice the Hospital of St John and St Elizabeth is launching a programme called Steady On Your Feet to help older people regain confidence after falls and fall-related injuries.
A spokesperson for the hospice said: “With an ageing population, this issue is set to intensify in the coming years. Our physiotherapy unit has been looking at ways to address falls in the local community.”
The programme begins with an one-on-one evaluation with a therapist before eight weeks of exercise classes focussed on improving balance and strength.
Based on pilot classes, the hospice say 80 per cent of participants have improved their Berg Balance score, which measures the risk of falling.
You may also want to watch:
A taster session takes place on Wednesday 23 January ahead of a full launch in March.
For more information, contact The Physiotherapy Unit by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 020 7806 4010.
- 1 Apology to Barnet mother for 'embarrassing' food parcel
- 2 Hampstead vaccination centre shoots for 1,000 daily Covid jabs
- 3 Kentish Town café fundraises to keep community spirit alive
- 4 Free Nazanin: Calls for clarity as West Hampstead mum's sentence draws to a close
- 5 Jeremy Corbyn launches Peace and Justice Project with calls to action
- 6 Hampstead families aim to raise £50,000 to feed Royal Free medics
- 7 Maida Vale florist starts weekly subscription to brighten lockdown
- 8 Joan Bakewell fires legal threat to government over second Covid jab
- 9 Keepers read bedtime 'tails' from London Zoo during closure
- 10 O2 Centre: developer Landsec 'looking to re-provide' Sainsbury's