Three Belsize Park friars 'make full recovery' following Covid battle
- Credit: St Dominic's
Three Dominican friars have left hospital after falling ill with Covid-19.
In January, Fathers Rudolf Löwenstein and Leo Edgar of St Dominic’s Priory, in Belsize Park were rushed to the Royal Free Hospital in Hampstead as their oxygen levels had dropped dangerously low. They were diagnosed with Covid.
Due to his age Fr Michael Dunn, 89, was taken to the Marie Curie Hospice in Belsize Park, where he was assessed by carers, a rapid response team, his GP and an emergency nurse.
Fr Lawrence Lew, prior and rector of London's Rosary Shrine, said parishioners were worried when they found out Fr Michael was sick.
“But I’m delighted to say that all three brothers have made a full recovery," he said.
Fr Michael received the Sacrament of the Sick as he waited to be transported to the hospice.
Fr Lawrence said: “The purpose of the sacrament is to strengthen the person spiritually, so that they have the courage and strength to get through a difficult illness, or recover from illness or an operation of any kind."
- 1 Hampstead Heath to host first Christmas Fayre
- 2 Susan Jones obituary: A 'humble' Muswell Hill shop owner of 40 years
- 3 Artist with autism exhibits vibrant London scenes at Lido Cafe
- 4 North London Chorus to perform in Muswell Hill
- 5 Possible travel disruptions in north London this week
- 6 'Someone is responsible for council spending £23m on office block'
- 7 Burglar posing as police officer 'preyed upon the elderly'
- 8 Alexandra Palace chief executive to leave in 2022
- 9 Proposed bus changes could see Hampstead bus route 168 merged
- 10 Chance of snow in London this weekend
He added: "I give thanks to God for healing Fr Michael."
St Dominic’s is a Catholic church which serves communities across north-west London.