Spurs will do well to keep Berbatov at White Hart Lane - Mabbutt
GARY Mabbutt feels Spurs will have to fight hard to keep star striker Dimitar Berbatov at the Lane next season. Berbatov s agent Emil Dantchev has claimed that the 27-year-old should move to a team playing in the Champions League. The Bulgarian scored his
GARY Mabbutt feels Spurs will have to fight hard to keep star striker Dimitar Berbatov at the Lane next season.
Berbatov's agent Emil Dantchev has claimed that the 27-year-old should move to a team playing in the Champions League.
The Bulgarian scored his 23rd goal of the season in Saturday's disappointing 1-1 draw at Wigan - a goal that had Champions League class stamped all over it.
It is no secret that several top Champions League clubs, including Manchester United and AC Milan, are interested in the striker and Spurs legend Mabbutt is desperate for the Lilywhites to hang on to their prize asset.
You may also want to watch:
"I think Berby has given a lot to the team over the past two seasons," Mabbutt told Wood&Vale Sport. "He is the sort of player you need to keep if you have Champions League aspirations.
"Will he stay? I'm not sure. If I can play devil's advocate and look at it from the player's point of view, I would have to ask myself these questions. 'Am I in a better position team-wise than last year when we finished fifth?
- 1 Spoiler: Cycling up Haverstock Hill is hard work
- 2 Thames Water 'sorry' after Finchley Road diversion sees cars damaged
- 3 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 4 Suburb couple start canal concerts with afternoon tea
- 5 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 6 Ken Clarke's anger at 'pointless' Infected Blood Inquiry questions
- 7 West Heath Road flats set for approval – despite affordable housing dispute
- 8 Winter closure of Royal Free kids A&E 'boosted Covid resilience' – NHS report
- 9 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 10 Letter on proposed Low Traffic Neighbourhoods
And, 'if I stay, are we any closer to playing in the Champions League than in the last two years'? I think I would have to seriously consider whether it is time to move if a big Champions League club were to come in.
"If that we were to happen I believe it would be very difficult for us to hold on to him.
"Of course, Berby's exit would be offset by the size of the transfer fee. But remember, we would have to spend big, big money, maybe even more than we would get for the player, just to replace him."
Berbatov, who joined Spurs for £10million from Bayer Leverkusen, is under contract for another two years with the option for a further two seasons.
Ramos, seemingly is happy to play down the rumours. "It is not an issue that worries or concerns me," he said. "I'm here to maintain the form and preparation of the team - and agents are on the margins of what I'm here to do."
Meanwhile, Fredi Kanoute has ruled out a return to the Lane and a reunion with former boss Ramos. "The papers talk about me leaving, but neither Juande not the club have spoken to me about it," he said. "There are not many clubs better than Sevilla."