Spurs v Arsenal clash named as Premier League game of the decade
Top football commentator John Mottie Motson has highlighted a North London derby as his top Premier League match of the decade. In today s Daily Mail, the legendary BBC commentator list his 10 favourite games of the decade. England s 5-1 win in Munich a
Top football commentator John 'Mottie' Motson has highlighted a North London derby as his top Premier League match of the decade.
In today's Daily Mail, the legendary BBC commentator list his 10 favourite games of the decade. England's 5-1 win in Munich and the 2-2 draw against Greece in which David Beckham's free kick won England a place in the 2002 World Cup finals, and an FA Cup clash between Leicester and Wycombe are the top three, then comes the 2-2 draw between Spurs and Arsenal in Arsenal's all-conquering 2003/04 season.
Motson says: ''You cannot study the last decade for significant football moments without praising the efforts of Arsene Wenger's team who remained undefeated for an entire season. This was Arsenal at the peak of Wenger's powers.''
Mottie lists the power of Patrick Vieira and the grace of Theirry Henry as the team's greatest attributes but bemoans the quick break-up of the team after that success.
You may also want to watch:
''They were giants and as they concluded their season, this was a monumental moment,'' he says.
The game at White Hart Lane saw Vieira and Pires fire Arsenal into a 2-0 half time lead before Spours rallied to earn a second-half draw with goals from Jamie Redknapp and a last-minute penalty from Robbie Keane.
- 1 'Picture of health': Mum's tribute to son who died of sudden cardiac arrest
- 2 Piers Plowright: 'An extraordinary force, devoted to Hampstead'
- 3 The Vagina Museum searches for new home as Camden Market leases end
- 4 Tennis coach 'distraught' at losing Belsize role amid club row
- 5 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes given the green light
- 6 Police investigate reported rape of teenager
- 7 Clapped in the street - and assaulted: Staff call for behaviour change in A&E
- 8 Barnet Council called in bailiffs over non-existent council tax bill
- 9 Ken Clarke's Infected Blood Inquiry words were 'offensive' – campaigners
- 10 Letter on shopping for one!