SPURS PREVIEW: Formidable but not impossible task at Anfield
TOTTENHAM must beat Liverpool at Anfield on Sunday to have any chance of leap-frogging seventh-placed Fulham to snatch the last European place. But eighth-placed Spurs face a formidable task against a side who will be desperate to preserve their runners-u
TOTTENHAM must beat Liverpool at Anfield on Sunday to have any chance of leap-frogging seventh-placed Fulham to snatch the last European place.
But eighth-placed Spurs face a formidable task against a side who will be desperate to preserve their runners-up spot.
The Reds have been legitimate challengers to Manchester United for the bulk of the season. Indeed, Liverpool looked to have gained the upper hand on March 14 when they came from behind to thump United 4-1 at Old Trafford with goals from Fernando Torres, Fabio Aurelio, Andrea Dossena and a Steven Gerrard penalty. And they received a massive boost two weeks later with United's shock loss to Fulham.
The Merseysiders further strengthened their title hopes in early April when Yossi Benayoun snatched an injury- time winner over the Cottagers.
You may also want to watch:
But a 4-4 draw with Arsenal in April - braces from Torres and Benayoun - handed the advantage back to United, who were crowned champions on Saturday.
Liverpool won 2-0 at West Brom on Sunday and will be looking to finish in style in front of the Kop.
- 1 'From Archway to Selfridges… The Toy Project'
- 2 Golders Green Hippodrome sold as Islamic centre plan abandoned
- 3 Northern Line tube 'assault': CCTV images released of two women
- 4 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 5 Hundreds gather on Primrose Hill to mourn Nicole Hurley
- 6 Richard Ratcliffe on hunger strike over government failure to secure Nazanin's release
- 7 Lockdown landscape artist changes job to paint full time
- 8 Best friends: Meet the man and his cat exploring London on a bike
- 9 Primrose Hill candlelight vigil to celebrate life of Nicole Hurley
- 10 Hampstead Miss Universe GB finalist champions mixed-heritage representation