SPURS PREVIEW: Formidable but not impossible task at Anfield
TOTTENHAM must beat Liverpool at Anfield on Sunday to have any chance of leap-frogging seventh-placed Fulham to snatch the last European place. But eighth-placed Spurs face a formidable task against a side who will be desperate to preserve their runners-u
TOTTENHAM must beat Liverpool at Anfield on Sunday to have any chance of leap-frogging seventh-placed Fulham to snatch the last European place.
But eighth-placed Spurs face a formidable task against a side who will be desperate to preserve their runners-up spot.
The Reds have been legitimate challengers to Manchester United for the bulk of the season. Indeed, Liverpool looked to have gained the upper hand on March 14 when they came from behind to thump United 4-1 at Old Trafford with goals from Fernando Torres, Fabio Aurelio, Andrea Dossena and a Steven Gerrard penalty. And they received a massive boost two weeks later with United's shock loss to Fulham.
The Merseysiders further strengthened their title hopes in early April when Yossi Benayoun snatched an injury- time winner over the Cottagers.
You may also want to watch:
But a 4-4 draw with Arsenal in April - braces from Torres and Benayoun - handed the advantage back to United, who were crowned champions on Saturday.
Liverpool won 2-0 at West Brom on Sunday and will be looking to finish in style in front of the Kop.
- 1 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
- 2 How a 'terrifying' Hampstead spree of robberies was brought to an end
- 3 Hampstead, Highgate and Primrose Hill beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 4 Royal Free ITU nurse who swapped the Caribbean for a Covid ward
- 5 Primrose Hill to close at night this weekend after antisocial behaviour
- 6 Hampstead to trial unobtrusive electric vehicle charging points
- 7 Calls for law change after Highgate School sexual abuse allegations
- 8 The questions council 'must answer' after spending £23m on £10m office
- 9 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 10 Pressure mounts on Jose Mourinho Spurs as his former club Man United