Spurs midfielder admits concerns over his England future
Tom Huddlestone admits that he fears for his international future after slipping down Fabio Capello’s pecking order in the last year.
The 24-year-old won his first England cap against Brazil in November 2009 and was selected for the provisional 30-man World Cup squad last summer, before missing the final cut.
One year on, Huddlestone concedes that his international prospects have dimmed rather than brightened, particularly when a recurring ankle injury restricted him to just 21 appearances for Tottenham last season.
“England is an ambition obviously,” he said. “I want to get in the squad as regularly as possible, but Jack Wilshere seems to have cemented his place, as does Scotty Parker – then you’ve still got Michael Carrick, Gareth Barry, Frank Lampard and Steven Gerrard.
“That’s six fantastic players so it’s going to be difficult but I’ll never give up trying to get in the squad.
“I’ve only been in three or four England squads, and it’s something I want to do more regularly, but that’s not my main focus at the minute – it’s just trying to get Tottenham back into the Champions League next season.
“The lads who have played while I’ve been injured have played very well, so it’s going to be hard enough to get back into the Tottenham team, let alone the England squad.”
- 1 Calls to make road in front of a Highgate school safer
- 2 Barnet leader pledges council tax rebate and an end to outsourcing
- 3 Positives for Arsenal despite missing top four
- 4 Parliament Hill flower shop comes to pupils' rescue
- 5 Camden teacher's cycle ride to find a cure for daughter's 'sleeping beauty' syndrome
- 6 The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee flypast: Where, and when, the planes will fly over north and east London
- 7 Harry Hill's Tony Blair rock opera premieres at Park Theatre
- 8 Nazanin was 'forced' to sign false confession by Iran
- 9 Highgate woman pledges £1million for children's autism charity
- 10 Major tube strike to follow Queen's Platinum Jubilee long weekend
Follow me on Twitter @BenPearceSpurs