Spurs handed plum Champions league tie against Young Boys
TOTTENHAM will face Swiss side Young Boys in their first ever Champions League tie after this morning s draw at Uefa headquarters in Nyon. It looks to be a very favourable draw for Spurs, who could also have drawn Auxerre, Sampdoria, Dynamo Kiev or Braga.
TOTTENHAM will face Swiss side Young Boys in their first ever Champions League tie after this morning's draw at Uefa headquarters in Nyon.
It looks to be a very favourable draw for Spurs, who could also have drawn Auxerre, Sampdoria, Dynamo Kiev or Braga.
However Young Boys, from the capital city of Bern, eliminated Fenerbahce on Wednesday night, winning 1-0 away in Turkey to seal a 3-2 aggregate victory.
Vladimir Petkovic's side have been playing at the 31,783-seater Stade de Suiss since 2005, a stadium which doubles as a national arena and cost 350million francs.
You may also want to watch:
Young Boys have a strong Swiss representation in their squad, with 15 members of their 25-man squad being home-grown.
Spurs' opponents do not boast any household names but midfielder David Degen is the twin brother of Liverpool's Philipp, who has just joined Stuttgart on loan.
- 1 Camden residents offered symptom-free Covid testing
- 2 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes order scrapped by Camden Council
- 3 Buyers claim luxury flats are 'nightmare' construction site
- 4 Women attacked by wrench-wielding man in Hampstead
- 5 Crouch End's 'Paul the Paper' bids farewell to Broadway stall
- 6 Plans for council homes to replace Highgate car wash
- 7 Westminster Council shelves Paddington Rec cycling plans
- 8 'Big victory,' says man behind Haverstock Hill cycle lanes legal challenge
- 9 Lord's Cricket Ground used as Covid-19 vaccination centre
- 10 Jeremy Corbyn launches Peace and Justice Project with calls to action
Meanwhile, 24-year-old defender Scott Sutter grew up in Enfield and supported Spurs as a youngster, before moving to Switzerland at the age of 16 to advance his football career.
Spurs will play the away leg of their tie first, travelling to Bern on August 17/18 before hosting Young Boys at White Hart Lane the following week on August 24/25.