Spurs fans stabbed as rival supporters clash in Rome
A Tottenham Hotspur fan has been seriously injured and nine others hurt in clashes between rival fans in Rome.
Trouble flared ahead of tonight’s Europa League game between Spurs and Lazio.
Italian newspaper La Repubblica reported scenes of “urban warfare” erupting in the early hours of this morning shortly after 1am in the Campo de Fiori with up to 100 “Ultras” - notorious troublemakers - attacking a band of Spurs fans.
Ten were left wounded with two stabbed, one of whom was believed to be critically ill. The violence is believed to have occurred at the Drunken Ship pub as fans of the London club were enjoying a drink.
Photographs show the pub wrecked.
You may also want to watch:
The newspaper reported the Lazio fans were armed with knives, baseball bats, belts and knuckle dusters and they went on to “destroy” the venue.
One witness told the paper: “We feared the worst.”
- 1 Man in hospital after stabbing in Crouch End
- 2 Cyclist dies after Crouch End car door crash, police appeal for witnesses
- 3 Wounded Crouch End pensioner 'shaken up' after zebra crossing collision
- 4 Jimmy C obituary: Crouch End blues musician who 'brought so much love'
- 5 Camden Town Brewery's new Bavarian Beer Hall opens in Kentish Town
- 6 What Paulo Fonseca means for Tottenham Hotspur?
- 7 Covid-19 Delta variant cases rising in north London
- 8 New headteachers at Harris Academy St John's Wood and Camden School for Girls
- 9 Stephen Mangan's first book is a family affair
- 10 Rift over nursery plan for play area outside of Hornsey block
It is believed police made some arrests at the scene.
A spokesman for the Foreign and Commonwealth Office confirmed they were investigating.