Spurs fans stabbed as rival supporters clash in Rome
A Tottenham Hotspur fan has been seriously injured and nine others hurt in clashes between rival fans in Rome.
Trouble flared ahead of tonight’s Europa League game between Spurs and Lazio.
Italian newspaper La Repubblica reported scenes of “urban warfare” erupting in the early hours of this morning shortly after 1am in the Campo de Fiori with up to 100 “Ultras” - notorious troublemakers - attacking a band of Spurs fans.
Ten were left wounded with two stabbed, one of whom was believed to be critically ill. The violence is believed to have occurred at the Drunken Ship pub as fans of the London club were enjoying a drink.
Photographs show the pub wrecked.
The newspaper reported the Lazio fans were armed with knives, baseball bats, belts and knuckle dusters and they went on to “destroy” the venue.
One witness told the paper: “We feared the worst.”
- 1 The most expensive homes sold in Haringey in November 2021
- 2 Air ambulance mobilised as boy, 15, knifed in South Hampstead
- 3 Italian sandwich shop opens in a Hampstead telephone box
- 4 'We don't need to drink more coffee' say cafés as Joe & The Juice moves in
- 5 Cops swoop on cannabis farm rumoured to be 'largest ever' busted in Haringey
- 6 Landlord scales back 40% rent rise - but it is too late for some tenants
- 7 3,000 new council homes for Haringey over next ten years
- 8 Haringey to splash £54m on Civic Centre makeover and extension
- 9 Camden gets £400k to overhaul planning system
- 10 The man who wants to put trains among the trees from Muswell Hill to Highgate
It is believed police made some arrests at the scene.
A spokesman for the Foreign and Commonwealth Office confirmed they were investigating.