Spurs fans stabbed as rival supporters clash in Rome
A Tottenham Hotspur fan has been seriously injured and nine others hurt in clashes between rival fans in Rome.
Trouble flared ahead of tonight’s Europa League game between Spurs and Lazio.
Italian newspaper La Repubblica reported scenes of “urban warfare” erupting in the early hours of this morning shortly after 1am in the Campo de Fiori with up to 100 “Ultras” - notorious troublemakers - attacking a band of Spurs fans.
Ten were left wounded with two stabbed, one of whom was believed to be critically ill. The violence is believed to have occurred at the Drunken Ship pub as fans of the London club were enjoying a drink.
Photographs show the pub wrecked.
The newspaper reported the Lazio fans were armed with knives, baseball bats, belts and knuckle dusters and they went on to “destroy” the venue.
One witness told the paper: “We feared the worst.”
- 1 Family pay tribute to schoolgirl at West Hampstead bridge restoration
- 2 Royal Free denies allowing Tory MP to influence medical decision
- 3 Heath patrols to increase after fisherman robbed at knifepoint
- 4 Covid admissions on the rise at north London hospitals
- 5 Bow Lock murder defendants blame each other for fatal attack
- 6 Fans pray for Bosco 'and his big stick' as he goes into surgery
- 7 Academy to crack down on 'boisterous' behaviour after inspection
- 8 New Camden real-time pollution sensors show 'unhealthy' borough air
- 9 'Buying maternity clothes seemed so wasteful': Former fashion editor's mission
- 10 New Wendy's opens its doors in Camden
It is believed police made some arrests at the scene.
A spokesman for the Foreign and Commonwealth Office confirmed they were investigating.