Spurs defender explains Tottenham’s loss of form
William Gallas says Tottenham have not been distracted by the speculation about Harry Redknapp’s future, and believes that Spurs have simply been exceedingly unlucky.
The Frenchman has revealed that Redknapp addressed his players in the dressing room to reaffirm that his focus is on the Lilywhites - and the Spurs defender has pointed the finger at Lady Luck instead.
“Nobody’s talking about what the manager will do next season,” said Gallas. “Like he said before, he’s very focused on Tottenham. His priority is to qualify for the Champions League and to win something with Tottenham.
“When people started to talk about him for the national team he came into the dressing room and he said ‘guys, I’m very focused on Tottenham and that’s it’.
“What has gone wrong? I think maybe we didn’t have that luck with us. It’s maybe funny but, in football, sometimes if you don’t have the luck you can do what you want but you won’t do anything.
You may also want to watch:
“We played very well against Chelsea in the first half but the ball didn’t want to go into the net, and just before half-time they had one chance and they scored.
“So for me it’s about a little bit of luck. I think during the season we haven’t kept that luck and it went away. So now we have to fight again for the luck to come back to us.”
- 1 'Safe and secure home' - Camden takes landlord to court over eviction threat
- 2 Car driver arrested after crash with van in Camden Town
- 3 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 4 Discovering 'rich' poetry of Hampstead Heath on guided tours
- 5 Man charged with indecent exposure and voyeurism in West Hampstead
- 6 Charitable hospital set to open new £35m wing
- 7 Thames Water 'sorry' after Finchley Road diversion sees cars damaged
- 8 Anger over Thames Water and Westminster Council's flash floods response
- 9 O2 Centre: Developer says it 'will listen' but still aiming for 1,900 homes
- 10 Convicted terrorist sent back to jail after bin lorry breach
Although Gallas insists that Spurs have simply been unlucky over the last two months, he concedes that the Lilywhites’ form is concerning, and that Chelsea’s victory in the FA Cup semi-final will only boost their challenge for the fourth spot.
“I think everybody is worried,” he said. “At the beginning of the season everybody was talking about us – how we play good football., and we could finish third.
“We were 10 points in front of Arsenal, but now we are five points behind them and we lost the semi-final at the weekend.
“I think we have to improve a lot. Even if we have good players and a good squad, this result shows we are not ready yet.
“We have to work very hard to come back to fight to finish fourth - but it won’t be easy because Chelsea and Newcastle are behind us, and after that victory Chelsea will be very strong. I think they will finish very well so we have to finish well too.
“I have to believe that we can do it. If I don’t believe then I’m not a competitor, and in my career I have always been a competitor.”
Follow me on Twitter @BenPearceSpurs