Spurs boss tips young stars for key roles in Tottenham’s future
Harry Redknapp believes the future is bright for Tottenham, with the manager highlighting a number of players that he can “build a team around”.
The Spurs boss was widely tipped to leave White Hart Lane at the end of the season to take the vacant England job, only to be snubbed as the FA announced their preference for Roy Hodgson at the weekend.
That has left Redknapp with the task of taking Tottenham forward, and the 65-year-old says the foundations are in place to build a team that can compete at the top for many years to come.
“There are good players here for sure - Luka Modric and Scott Parker,” he said. “The young right-back [Kyle] Walker has emerged as a great player this year, and [Younes] Kaboul has exceeded all expectations.
“When I brought Kaboul back here everyone thought I was mad, because they couldn’t wait to get rid of him. I took him to Portsmouth and I brought him back, and he’s done great.
You may also want to watch:
“The young centre-half [Steven] Caulker will come back, he’s done well at Swansea. [Kyle] Naughton could come back here and play, so there are some good young players.
“There are players to build a team around here. Even [Heurelho] Gomes has been unlucky, I still think Gomes has got the potential to be a top goalkeeper. It’s just that I brought Brad [Friedel] in and he’s not played this year - but next year Gomes could be a great keeper at this club.
- 1 Camden residents offered symptom-free Covid testing
- 2 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes order scrapped by Camden Council
- 3 Buyers claim luxury flats are 'nightmare' construction site
- 4 Crouch End's 'Paul the Paper' bids farewell to Broadway stall
- 5 Plans for council homes to replace Highgate car wash
- 6 Arsenal legend Nigel Winterburn relieved to see Mesut Ozil depart
- 7 Lord's Cricket Ground used as Covid-19 vaccination centre
- 8 Joan Bakewell fires legal threat to government over second Covid jab
- 9 Councillors slam 'outrageous' change of plans for 100 Avenue Road
- 10 Affordable housing changes for 100 Avenue Road will test Camden's resolve
“Brad’s been great but I still wouldn’t write Gomes off. Next year he could come back and really challenge for a place.”
Follow me on Twitter @BenPearceSpurs