Toby Alderweireld out for up to four weeks, says Spurs boss Jose Mourinho
- Credit: PA
Tottenham defender Toby Alderweireld is out of Thursday’s Europa League meeting with Bulgarian side Ludogorets.
But the Belgium international’s adductor injury suffered against Manchester City on Saturday is not as bad as first feared.
Manager Jose Mourinho said: “He has a muscular injury but not as big as we initially thought.
“He will have time to be out, but not like a month which was immediately what we thought. I would say between two and four weeks.
“It’s bad news, he was playing his best football. He’s an important player that we’ll miss.”
You may also want to watch:
There had been doubts over the match taking place with reports in Bulgaria suggesting some Ludogorets players had tested positive for coronavirus.
But Mourinho said: “According to my information, that’s not true. The problems they had were immediately after the game we played there (3-1 win on November 5). They have had one more game after that, which they won, then the international break.
- 1 'Silver lining of lockdown': Blockheads saxophonist brings Muswell Hill cheer
- 2 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 3 'It's a godsend': Hampstead pubs and shops back serving the community
- 4 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 5 Highgate reopens: Pubs and salons 'elated' to be back as lockdown eases
- 6 Child artworks breathe life into Hampstead Heath and Gospel Oak bridge
- 7 Lockdown easing April 12 live updates: North London shops and pubs reopen
- 8 Royal Free ITU nurse who swapped the Caribbean for a Covid ward
- 9 Wac Arts: West End stars among ex-students who can 'no longer endorse' charity
- 10 Locals celebrate as the Carlton Tavern finally re-opens
“Of the team that comes (on Thursday), I believe only two players who played against us are not playing. Apart from that, the other nine are in the list and ready to play.
“I don’t understand the news, there is a big contradiction between the news and the information we have.”