Sport England objects to Mansfield Bowling Club plans
The quango in charge of English sport has objected to a controversial scheme to build housing on a historic bowling green.
Sport England is among dozens of objectors campaigning against plans to redevelop the 100-year-old Mansfield Bowling Club – which is now closed – in Croftdown Road, Dartmouth Park.
Generator Group wantd to build 21 homes, tennis courts, a sports pavilion and community garden on land left to the public by philanthropist Angela Burdett-Coutts.
It has lodged an application with Camden Council.
In its objection, Sport England, which works with the government to promote sport, said: “The application results in the loss of existing buildings and land currently in sporting use.”
You may also want to watch:
A spokesman for Generator Group said the council-audited report that accompanies the application confirms the proposals would provide maximum benefit for the local community in terms of sport and leisure facilities.
- 1 Spoiler: Cycling up Haverstock Hill is hard work
- 2 Thames Water 'sorry' after Finchley Road diversion sees cars damaged
- 3 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 4 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 5 Ken Clarke's anger at 'pointless' Infected Blood Inquiry questions
- 6 Arsenal complete signing of Norweigan midfielder Frida Maanum
- 7 Tottenham squad is slowly taking shape but uncertainty remains
- 8 West Heath Road flats set for approval – despite affordable housing dispute
- 9 'Body blow': Crouch End NatWest bank to close
- 10 Winter closure of Royal Free kids A&E 'boosted Covid resilience' – NHS report