Sport England objects to Mansfield Bowling Club plans
The quango in charge of English sport has objected to a controversial scheme to build housing on a historic bowling green.
Sport England is among dozens of objectors campaigning against plans to redevelop the 100-year-old Mansfield Bowling Club – which is now closed – in Croftdown Road, Dartmouth Park.
Generator Group wantd to build 21 homes, tennis courts, a sports pavilion and community garden on land left to the public by philanthropist Angela Burdett-Coutts.
It has lodged an application with Camden Council.
In its objection, Sport England, which works with the government to promote sport, said: “The application results in the loss of existing buildings and land currently in sporting use.”
You may also want to watch:
A spokesman for Generator Group said the council-audited report that accompanies the application confirms the proposals would provide maximum benefit for the local community in terms of sport and leisure facilities.
- 1 Northern Line tube 'assault': CCTV images released of two women
- 2 Golders Green Hippodrome sold as Islamic centre plan abandoned
- 3 Best friends: Meet the man and his cat exploring London on a bike
- 4 Hundreds gather on Primrose Hill to mourn Nicole Hurley
- 5 Jailed: Man who murdered friend Jack Ampadu in Kentish Town
- 6 Hampstead Miss Universe GB finalist champions mixed-heritage representation
- 7 Primrose Hill candlelight vigil to celebrate life of Nicole Hurley
- 8 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 9 Gravestone is a reminder that slavery left its mark in north London
- 10 Top spooky Halloween events in Hampstead and Highgate