ZSL London Zoo’s gay penguins to join in Pride celebrations
- Credit: Archant
London Zoo’s Zoo Nights will be getting a Pride makeover next week, as the zoo’s colony of 93 Humboldt penguins will be joining in the party.
The group includes the zoo's most famous gay residents, Ronnie and Reggie. Keepers have made them a special "some penguins are gay: Get over it" banner for the occasion.
The two penguins met in 2014 and adopted an egg that had been abandoned by another couple. The pair then shared the parenting duties of their chick, Kyton, until he fledged the nest. To this day, the couple are often found snuggled up in their nest box together.
They share their home with two other same-sex couples, Nadja and Zimmer, and Dev and Martin.
It's not just the animals getting in on the act. During Zoo Nights' schedule of activities, visitors can hear a talk about gender and mating in the animal kingdom, where they can hear how common same-sex pairings are.
You may also want to watch:
The zoo's LGBT+ society, Team Pride, will also be marching in the London Pride Parade on July 6.
- 1 Suburb couple start canal concerts with afternoon tea
- 2 O2 Centre: Developer says it 'will listen' but still aiming for 1,900 homes
- 3 'Something out of Blade Runner?' BT eyes screen near cinema
- 4 Spoiler: Cycling up Haverstock Hill is hard work
- 5 Thames Water 'sorry' after Finchley Road diversion sees cars damaged
- 6 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 7 Winter closure of Royal Free kids A&E 'boosted Covid resilience' – NHS report
- 8 Muswell Hill club wins 'Premier League' of junior chess
- 9 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 10 Ally Pally and Highgate's abandoned station star in new children's book