ZSL London Zoo’s gay penguins to join in Pride celebrations
- Credit: Archant
London Zoo’s Zoo Nights will be getting a Pride makeover next week, as the zoo’s colony of 93 Humboldt penguins will be joining in the party.
The group includes the zoo's most famous gay residents, Ronnie and Reggie. Keepers have made them a special "some penguins are gay: Get over it" banner for the occasion.
The two penguins met in 2014 and adopted an egg that had been abandoned by another couple. The pair then shared the parenting duties of their chick, Kyton, until he fledged the nest. To this day, the couple are often found snuggled up in their nest box together.
They share their home with two other same-sex couples, Nadja and Zimmer, and Dev and Martin.
It's not just the animals getting in on the act. During Zoo Nights' schedule of activities, visitors can hear a talk about gender and mating in the animal kingdom, where they can hear how common same-sex pairings are.
You may also want to watch:
The zoo's LGBT+ society, Team Pride, will also be marching in the London Pride Parade on July 6.
- 1 Developer's plan for six houses in old pub car park in Highgate Hill
- 2 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 3 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 4 Arsenal hit Gillingham for ten in FA Cup
- 5 Arteta: Arsenal have to win these games or face consequence
- 6 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 7 The Heath, exhaust theft, public access, Centene, the Streatery and more
- 8 Helen McCrory: 'Mighty' Tufnell Park actress dies aged 52
- 9 Hampstead Literary Society launched - and looking for exciting writers
- 10 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'