ZSL London Zoo’s gay penguins to join in Pride celebrations
- Credit: Archant
London Zoo’s Zoo Nights will be getting a Pride makeover next week, as the zoo’s colony of 93 Humboldt penguins will be joining in the party.
The group includes the zoo's most famous gay residents, Ronnie and Reggie. Keepers have made them a special "some penguins are gay: Get over it" banner for the occasion.
The two penguins met in 2014 and adopted an egg that had been abandoned by another couple. The pair then shared the parenting duties of their chick, Kyton, until he fledged the nest. To this day, the couple are often found snuggled up in their nest box together.
They share their home with two other same-sex couples, Nadja and Zimmer, and Dev and Martin.
It's not just the animals getting in on the act. During Zoo Nights' schedule of activities, visitors can hear a talk about gender and mating in the animal kingdom, where they can hear how common same-sex pairings are.
You may also want to watch:
The zoo's LGBT+ society, Team Pride, will also be marching in the London Pride Parade on July 6.
- 1 Muswell Hill man captures picture of car bursting into flames in high street
- 2 'Forever grateful': Community steps up after man's dog dies on Hampstead Heath
- 3 West Hampstead mum Nazanin 'loses appeal' in Iran
- 4 Primrose Hill 'Howloween' party to support rescue dogs
- 5 Tributes paid to Primrose Hill mother-of-four as fundraiser launched
- 6 The Outsider: Residents take aim at plans for high street pub
- 7 Muswell Hill couple slam planning laws as chipboard outhouse appears
- 8 Flick Rea: Community celebrates 'Empress of West Hampstead'
- 9 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill
- 10 Coldplay and Ed Sheeran to perform at Earthshot Prize ceremony at Ally Pally