Exclusive: Re-launched feminist magazine Spare Rib changes name to Hip Bone
- Credit: Archant
The relaunched feminist magazine Spare Rib, based in Kentish Town, has been re-named Hip Bone, its editor announced today.
The re-branding comes after a legal row with the magazine’s original founders over the use of the Spare Rib name.
Journalist Charlotte Raven, from Bartholomew Villas, re-launched the iconic 1970s magazine Spare Rib in April.
But after its original founders Marsha Rowe and Rosie Boycott threatened legal action over use of the name, Ms Raven decided to change it rather than go to court.
Ms Raven put the power into the hands of paid-up magazine members and the general public, giving them the opportunity to suggest names.
You may also want to watch:
More than 500 title suggestions were submitted online, which were whittled down to just five last week.
But the final decision was postponed after members complained they didn’t like the original five suggestions - Monstrous Regiment, Feminist Times, Speculum, The Other Woman and The Purple Note Book.
- 1 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 2 £5,000 of crack cocaine and heroin found in Hampstead home
- 3 Haringey Council launches investigation into land deal with rapper
- 4 Nancy Jirira wins Fortune Green by-election, holding on to Lib Dem council seat
- 5 'Cash cows': Leaseholders fight for clarity and better value over 'huge bills'
- 6 Highgate School staff must undergo 'anti-sexism training' over summer
- 7 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 8 Vehicles scraped and traffic chaos after width-restriction bollards moved
- 9 Crouch End Festival Chorus: Alexandra Palace Theatre
- 10 Probe into £23m property deal is like 'a vendetta', says ex-deputy leader
Online voters then chose between the original five as well as Hip Bone, Femtext, The Wanderground, Woman’s Brigade and Ourselves.
Ms Raven announced Hip Bone as the magazine’s new name today after it received the most votes from the public online.