South Hampstead residents 'bemused' by extra lamp post
- Credit: Dr Bernard Cummings
Those living in South Hampstead's Priory Road thought they were seeing double last week, when they woke to find two lamp posts within a metre of one another.
Dr Bernard Cummings, who lives in the street, told this newspaper he was concerned about the impact on the conservation area it sits within.
He said: "I saw the workmen removing the lamp posts and thought I'd let them get on with it.
"I came back a little later, and didn't know what to say - there were still two lamp posts in front of my house."
A Camden Council spokesperson said the work was part of a scheme to replace older street lights with greener and more efficient models.
You may also want to watch:
They added: "Our contractor removed all of the old lamp posts except one, which shares a supply connection with the UKPN network. We have instructed UKPN to complete the transfer of the supply cable from the old lamp post to the new one."
The town hall said the work should be completed in four to eight weeks.
- 1 Northern Line tube 'assault': CCTV images released of two women
- 2 Golders Green Hippodrome sold as Islamic centre plan abandoned
- 3 'From Archway to Selfridges… The Toy Project'
- 4 Lockdown landscape artist changes job to paint full time
- 5 Hundreds gather on Primrose Hill to mourn Nicole Hurley
- 6 Best friends: Meet the man and his cat exploring London on a bike
- 7 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 8 Hampstead Miss Universe GB finalist champions mixed-heritage representation
- 9 Top spooky Halloween events in Hampstead and Highgate
- 10 Primrose Hill candlelight vigil to celebrate life of Nicole Hurley