South Hampstead residents 'bemused' by extra lamp post
- Credit: Dr Bernard Cummings
Those living in South Hampstead's Priory Road thought they were seeing double last week, when they woke to find two lamp posts within a metre of one another.
Dr Bernard Cummings, who lives in the street, told this newspaper he was concerned about the impact on the conservation area it sits within.
He said: "I saw the workmen removing the lamp posts and thought I'd let them get on with it.
"I came back a little later, and didn't know what to say - there were still two lamp posts in front of my house."
A Camden Council spokesperson said the work was part of a scheme to replace older street lights with greener and more efficient models.
You may also want to watch:
They added: "Our contractor removed all of the old lamp posts except one, which shares a supply connection with the UKPN network. We have instructed UKPN to complete the transfer of the supply cable from the old lamp post to the new one."
The town hall said the work should be completed in four to eight weeks.
- 1 London Assembly elections: Camden, Barnet and Haringey's candidates
- 2 Ibiza comes to Kenwood with meditation and music for 'healthy hedonists'
- 3 Golders Green Hippodrome 'chooses love' at interfaith Covid vaccine drive
- 4 Porsche driver tries to get car insured on phone when stopped by police
- 5 What do you think of the Regent’s Park and Primrose Hill bins?
- 6 Matt Hancock to give evidence at Infected Blood Inquiry
- 7 Tree topples onto neighbour's car after South Hampstead winds
- 8 'Unacceptable' HGV use by developers in Church Row writes off 3 cars
- 9 Swimmers launch legal challenge to charges at Hampstead Heath Ponds
- 10 Man stabbed to death at Brent Cross Shopping Centre