South End Green doctor to run half marathon for blood cancer charity
- Credit: Archant
The haemotologist will be running in memory of the ‘friends and patients we weren’t able to cure’
Consultant haemotologist Kate Cwynarski will run the Royal Parks Foundation Half Marathon this weekend to raise money for blood cancer charity Bloodwise.
The charity works to improve the lives of patients with leukaemia, lymphoma and myeloma.
Kate, who has been a haematologist for more than 20 years, and works at University College London Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, will join runners at the Hyde Park starting line.
She said: “I’m running for a number of reasons but in particular in memory of the friends and patients we weren’t able to cure or for those we were only able to offer toxic treatment regimens.
You may also want to watch:
“I also have family and friends receiving treatment for blood cancers at the moment.”
Kate has already raised over £3200 through donations from friends, family and colleagues.
- 1 'Big elephant's backside': David Hare and Nicole Farhi slam house plans
- 2 Buyers launch legal action after £75k bill for flammable cladding
- 3 Armed police search Tube at Finchley Road and find 'imitation' gun
- 4 Teenage girls charged with Hampstead robberies
- 5 'He was mesmerising': Barney Hoskyns on Prince, five years on
- 6 Mary Feilding Guild: New Highgate owner claims 'widespread Legionella'
- 7 HIV 'progress is stalling' says Royal Free doctor who consulted on It's A Sin
- 8 Camden Council seeks to honour Covid-19 pandemic heroes
- 9 Boy George and Bananarama join Kenwood 2021 concert line up
- 10 Arguments over Heath impact of homes in Jack Straw's Castle car park
Bloodwise fund many of the clinical trials at the hospital.
Kate added: “Bloodwise fund many of our clinical trials.
“They fund much research in haematological malignancies and specifically support early phase clinical trials to help identify novel treatments to improve the outcome of patients with blood cancers.”
Kate hopes to complete the race in under two hours.
Matt Lawley, head of sports events at Bloodwise said: “Kate’s fundraising efforts have been extraordinary, and we are so grateful for her support both in the clinic and out on the road, running.”
To support Kate visit her fundraising page on: http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/katecwynarskirpfhm20166558