'Really disappointing': South End Green's Biggie Best closes cafe after spate of thefts
- Credit: Mark Pfuhl
Home decor shop Biggie Best has closed its South End Green cafe after the shop's windows were smashed five times in 12 months.
As of Monday (October 4), the shop is only selling homeware, saying it was "unable to stem the tide of thieves and vandals who prey on our business weekly".
Owner Mark Pfuhl told the Ham&High: "It was too busy, and we were being robbed every week - the staff weren't safe.
"As locals ourselves, the thefts have been really disappointing."
The Hampstead resident, whose mother founded the business in 1985, now owns 11 shops across the UK.
You may also want to watch:
"The cafe here was a trial, and it has been a good learning curb," he said.
"Now we can focus on shop customers coming through the door, both the good and the bad."
At the Heath and Hampstead Society’s AGM in July, concerns were raised about antisocial behaviour in the area, with police data showing 436 antisocial behaviour reports in Hampstead Town over the previous 12 months, and 370 total crimes.
- 1 Northern Line tube 'assault': CCTV images released of two women
- 2 Hundreds gather on Primrose Hill to mourn Nicole Hurley
- 3 Golders Green Hippodrome sold as Islamic centre plan abandoned
- 4 Best friends: Meet the man and his cat exploring London on a bike
- 5 Jailed: Man who murdered friend Jack Ampadu in Kentish Town
- 6 Hampstead Miss Universe GB finalist champions mixed-heritage representation
- 7 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 8 Primrose Hill candlelight vigil to celebrate life of Nicole Hurley
- 9 Kentish Town teen creates football team to 'bring community together'
- 10 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu