Popular Euston Somers Town Coffee House pub blaze caused by cigarette - but venue could reopen in weeks
- Credit: @_fastamersham
A cigarette was responsible for the fire at a popular Euston pub on Friday night, but staff hope it will reopen within weeks despite the blaze.
A cigarette was responsible for the fire at a popular Euston pub on Friday night, and staff hope it will reopen within weeks despite the blaze.
The London Fire Brigade’s investigators believe the fire at the Somers Town Coffee House on Chalton Street was caused by a discarded cigarette.
While the ground floor wasn’t damaged, the fire meant a residential flat where staff lived in the building was burned down.
Station manager Steve Chesson, who was at the scene, said: “The pub was open and in use at the time of the fire and a number of people left the building before the Brigade arrived.
You may also want to watch:
“This incident shows how important it is to ensure your cigarette is completely out when you’ve finished smoking it.
“If it’s not, you risk causing a fire which could not only destroy property, but could also cost you your life.”
- 1 Royal Free's critical care beds 98pc full as Covid-19 cases top 500
- 2 Is lockdown working in north London? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 3 Hospital staff describe 'distressing' battle against rising Covid cases
- 4 Joan Bakewell fires legal threat to government over second Covid jab
- 5 Camden man charged with prostitution offences and sexual exploitation
- 6 Mikel Arteta 'excited' by Arsenal's appointment of Richard Garlick
- 7 Lord's Cricket Ground used as Covid-19 vaccination centre
- 8 Housing: Billionaire owner of 'squalid shoeboxes' must 'up its game'
- 9 One in ten people without symptoms Covid positive at Haringey centres
- 10 Ice cream shop supporting freelancers opens in Primose Hill
A statement from the pub’s staff said the fire was a “shocker”, and paid tribute to colleagues on the night who cleared the packed pub in under three minutes
It said: “We’ve got so many things to do and consider in the coming days, but we are most thankful that everyone is safe.
“Getting that call to say there is a fire and you need to get back to the pub was one of the worst moments in my life. Everything runs through your mind but first and foremost was the worry about the team and friends you have in the building.”
The statement said they believe the main pub will be able to reopen within weeks, once a temporary roof has been put in place.
They also rubbished rumours of the fire being started in the kitchen.
It took ten fire engines and 72 firefighters to tackle to blaze at the venue between Euston and St Pancras stations.
There were no reports of injuries.
The LFB was called just after 8pm, and the fire was under control at 9.28pm.
Fire crews from Soho, Islington, Kentish Town, Shoreditch, Paddington and surrounding fire stations were at the scene.
Were you at the pub when it was evacuated? Did you see the fire? Get in touch: email@example.com