Search

Popular Euston Somers Town Coffee House pub blaze caused by cigarette - but venue could reopen in weeks

PUBLISHED: 07:58 25 June 2018 | UPDATED: 10:01 26 June 2018

Ten fire engines and 72 firefighters tackled the fire. Picture: @_fastamersham

Ten fire engines and 72 firefighters tackled the fire. Picture: @_fastamersham

Archant

A cigarette was responsible for the fire at a popular Euston pub on Friday night, but staff hope it will reopen within weeks despite the blaze.

A cigarette was responsible for the fire at a popular Euston pub on Friday night, and staff hope it will reopen within weeks despite the blaze.

The London Fire Brigade’s investigators believe the fire at the Somers Town Coffee House on Chalton Street was caused by a discarded cigarette.

While the ground floor wasn’t damaged, the fire meant a residential flat where staff lived in the building was burned down.

Station manager Steve Chesson, who was at the scene, said: “The pub was open and in use at the time of the fire and a number of people left the building before the Brigade arrived.

“This incident shows how important it is to ensure your cigarette is completely out when you’ve finished smoking it.

“If it’s not, you risk causing a fire which could not only destroy property, but could also cost you your life.”

A statement from the pub’s staff said the fire was a “shocker”, and paid tribute to colleagues on the night who cleared the packed pub in under three minutes

It said: “We’ve got so many things to do and consider in the coming days, but we are most thankful that everyone is safe.

“Getting that call to say there is a fire and you need to get back to the pub was one of the worst moments in my life. Everything runs through your mind but first and foremost was the worry about the team and friends you have in the building.”

The statement said they believe the main pub will be able to reopen within weeks, once a temporary roof has been put in place.

They also rubbished rumours of the fire being started in the kitchen.

It took ten fire engines and 72 firefighters to tackle to blaze at the venue between Euston and St Pancras stations.

There were no reports of injuries.

The LFB was called just after 8pm, and the fire was under control at 9.28pm.

Fire crews from Soho, Islington, Kentish Town, Shoreditch, Paddington and surrounding fire stations were at the scene.

Were you at the pub when it was evacuated? Did you see the fire? Get in touch: editorial@hamhigh.co.uk

Most Read

Latest from the Hampstead Highgate Express

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists