Society is working hard to preserve street name legacy
I would like strongly to re-assure Mr Bryan Diamond that the Heath & Hampstead Society will not allow the ceramic street names that add such charm and character to the streets of Hampstead to crumble and disappear (Ceramic street names must be preserved,
I would like strongly to re-assure Mr Bryan Diamond that the Heath & Hampstead Society will not allow the ceramic street names that add such charm and character to the streets of Hampstead to crumble and disappear (Ceramic street names must be preserved, H&H letters May 15).
We are currently engaged in an ongoing project with the London Borough of Camden to conserve these much loved signs. The project involves the following process:
The area has been divided into six distinct zones/phases. Every zone is paintstakingly surveyed. Each sign that might require attention is photographed and assessed.
We then put together a full report for the Camden street team with our suggestions as to whether a sign should be restored, replaced or even relocated.
A proposal is then presented to Camden with our suggestions. Numerous site visits and discussions later, a schedule of works is agreed upon and the work is done.
We then re-visit our hard work, photographs are taken and then the results are there for all to enjoy.
- 1 Five jailed after 'cold blooded' murder of Enfield father
- 2 Hampstead Town's first Labour councillor stands down weeks into office
- 3 Crouch End pub ransacked and charity money stolen
- 4 Olympic ace opens Highgate primary school's new running track
- 5 5 of the best things to do with kids in north London
- 6 Walking book club: Hampstead Heath, Death and The Penguin
- 7 Cartoonist creates celebrity tube stops
- 8 Highgate pub landlords to appeal restrictive licence approval
- 9 Renaissance painting discovered in pensioner's bedroom sells for £255k
- 10 7 of the best Chinese restaurants with delivery in north London
I will happily take a stroll with Mr Diamond at any time!
Heath & Hampstead Society