Snowball fight turns nasty at Ally Pally
VIOLENCE erupted at Alexandra Palace after a playful snow fight turned ugly. More than 500 people took part in a mass snowball fight on Monday in the grounds of the Muswell Hill palace. But police were forced to intervene after discovering a group of aro
VIOLENCE erupted at Alexandra Palace after a playful snow fight turned ugly.
More than 500 people took part in a mass snowball fight on Monday in the grounds of the Muswell Hill palace.
But police were forced to intervene after discovering a group of around 25 people throwing snowballs at cars with such force that windows were smashed.
Officers were flagged down at around 11am by a man and woman who had been involved in a car crash in the grounds of Ally Pally.
You may also want to watch:
The couple reported that a group had been throwing snowballs at vehicles, forcing them to collide with each other.
An 18-year-old youth was arrested after refusing to move on as police attempted to disperse the group.
- 1 Spoiler: Cycling up Haverstock Hill is hard work
- 2 Thames Water 'sorry' after Finchley Road diversion sees cars damaged
- 3 Suburb couple start canal concerts with afternoon tea
- 4 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 5 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 6 West Heath Road flats set for approval – despite affordable housing dispute
- 7 Ken Clarke's anger at 'pointless' Infected Blood Inquiry questions
- 8 Winter closure of Royal Free kids A&E 'boosted Covid resilience' – NHS report
- 9 'Something out of Blade Runner?' BT eyes screen near cinema
- 10 O2 Centre: Developer says it 'will listen' but still aiming for 1,900 homes
Inspector Simon French, duty inspector, said: "There was a large number of people legitimately enjoying the park, but a small minority seemed to be irresponsibly seeking their thrills by aiming snowballs at vehicles.
"This behaviour is potentially extremely dangerous and anyone caught causing criminal damage will be dealt with.
"We urge drivers to exercise caution in these extreme weather conditions and not to travel unless completely necessary." Police are also investigating an allegation of criminal damage to a window of a blue VW Polo caused by a snowball.