Six moped robberies of mobile phones take place in one night in Muswell Hill
Officers in Haringey are still investigating the mobile phone thefts by suspects on mopeds.
The phones were snatched from people within the space of one hour.
In one incident, a 38-year-old woman had her phone grabbed out of her hand as she was typing out a text message outside a bike shop in Fortis Green Road at 8.30pm on Wednesday, 7 October.
The moped rider and pillion passenger rode off along the road.
Then at 8.45pm, a 43-year-old man was using his phone as he was walking along Muswell Hill Road, when a moped approached from behind and snatched the phone from his hand.
You may also want to watch:
A little distance away, on The Broadway, a 21-year-old man was using his phone at a bus stop in The Broadway when two suspects approached on a moped and snatched his phone from his hand at 20.55pm.
They rode off at speed towards Dukes Avenue.
- 1 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 2 'We've been forgotten': Homeless Muswell Hill family demand action
- 3 ‘I was livid': Outrage as Camden homeless man sprayed with hose
- 4 Mayor of Camden joins West Hampstead Primary School renaming fair
- 5 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 6 'Land grab': Muswell Hill Gail's accused of taking over pavement
- 7 How did a double-decker bus crash straight into a Crouch End house?
- 8 New Jewish Fringe festival comes to Golders Green
- 9 Explore 8 of north London's prettiest streets
- 10 Crunch! Eliana and Ariella's granola business success
A little later at 9.50pm, a 40-year-old man was walking to the bus stop along Muswell Hill Road when a moped pulled up alongside him, snatched his mobile phone from his hand and rode off northbound along the Muswell Hill Road.
A 43-year-old man was on his phone at 9pm outside a supermarket in Fortis Green Road when his phone was snatched out of his hand by two people on a moped.
They drove off towards Highgate.
A 25-year-old man was using his phone at a bus stop in Muswell Hill Road at the junction with Fortis Green Road when he heard a moped approach from behind and someone tried to grab his phone.
The man was able to hold on to his phone by grabbing one of the suspect’s arms.
The pillion rider jumped back on the moped and rode off towards Muswell Hill Broadway.
Inspector Matt Cox from Haringey Police said, “The Safer Neighbourhoods Teams across Haringey are actively supporting the Met-wide operation tackling mobile phone snatches. This is called Operation Venice and is a cross-border comprehensive crime reduction strategy seeking to address the issue through a variety of tactics including targeting known offenders and crime prevention messaging.”
Police attended the scene and there were no trace of any suspects.
Haringey Police are continuing to investigate the incidents.