Six moped robberies of mobile phones take place in one night in Muswell Hill
Officers in Haringey are still investigating the mobile phone thefts by suspects on mopeds.
The phones were snatched from people within the space of one hour.
In one incident, a 38-year-old woman had her phone grabbed out of her hand as she was typing out a text message outside a bike shop in Fortis Green Road at 8.30pm on Wednesday, 7 October.
The moped rider and pillion passenger rode off along the road.
Then at 8.45pm, a 43-year-old man was using his phone as he was walking along Muswell Hill Road, when a moped approached from behind and snatched the phone from his hand.
You may also want to watch:
A little distance away, on The Broadway, a 21-year-old man was using his phone at a bus stop in The Broadway when two suspects approached on a moped and snatched his phone from his hand at 20.55pm.
They rode off at speed towards Dukes Avenue.
- 1 Lane closure scrapped after high pollution readings double
- 2 Falling stonework narrowly misses outdoor diners at Crouch End cafe
- 3 British fencing great Richard Kruse announces retirement
- 4 'Auto-destruction' in a train shed: how the Roundhouse made Camden cool
- 5 Hampstead bakery sells challah hearts for Mental Health Awareness Week
- 6 Owner mourns Highgate station’s beloved black cat
- 7 Hampstead man jailed for pub 'revenge attack' on Jewish Tory barrister
- 8 New Indian restaurant Ritu to replace Yasmeen Kitchen in St John's Wood
- 9 Camden shouldn't ignore residents, but we need low-traffic neighbourhoods
- 10 Haringey Council leader ousted by rival in Labour group vote
A little later at 9.50pm, a 40-year-old man was walking to the bus stop along Muswell Hill Road when a moped pulled up alongside him, snatched his mobile phone from his hand and rode off northbound along the Muswell Hill Road.
A 43-year-old man was on his phone at 9pm outside a supermarket in Fortis Green Road when his phone was snatched out of his hand by two people on a moped.
They drove off towards Highgate.
A 25-year-old man was using his phone at a bus stop in Muswell Hill Road at the junction with Fortis Green Road when he heard a moped approach from behind and someone tried to grab his phone.
The man was able to hold on to his phone by grabbing one of the suspect’s arms.
The pillion rider jumped back on the moped and rode off towards Muswell Hill Broadway.
Inspector Matt Cox from Haringey Police said, “The Safer Neighbourhoods Teams across Haringey are actively supporting the Met-wide operation tackling mobile phone snatches. This is called Operation Venice and is a cross-border comprehensive crime reduction strategy seeking to address the issue through a variety of tactics including targeting known offenders and crime prevention messaging.”
Police attended the scene and there were no trace of any suspects.
Haringey Police are continuing to investigate the incidents.