‘We’re the same group of lads’: Sir Chris Bonington, Lord Finkelstein and Hugh Dennis join Hampstead school reunion
- Credit: Karl Nathan Hill
Famous faces including mountaineer Sir Chris Bonington, Lord Daniel Finkelstein and comedian Hugh Dennis reunited and reminisced at their old Hampstead school to celebrate 40 years since their sixth form studies.
University College School Hampstead hosted its Old Gowers' annual dinner to an audience of 180 people on February 27 to mark its 'Class of 1980'.
Sir Chris, an icon of British mountaineering, was the event's guest of honour, held to toast 40 years since the Queen reopened the school's Great Hall in 1980, which was gutted by fire two years earlier.
The Queen recently wrote to the Class of 1980 to pass on her best wishes.
Old Gower Alan Jacobs said: "Whilst life had taken us in many different directions - academia, media, entertainment, medicine, law, banking, business - we were essentially the same group of lads, just a little gentler with the passing of time.
You may also want to watch:
"A rousing rendition of the school song brought a fantastic evening to a close and we are all looking forward to celebrating the half-century in 10 years' time."
- 1 Armed police search Tube at Finchley Road and find 'imitation' gun
- 2 Teenage girls charged with Hampstead robberies
- 3 Camden Council seeks to honour Covid-19 pandemic heroes
- 4 'Big elephant's backside': David Hare and Nicole Farhi slam house plans
- 5 Brian Rose: Who is the London mayoral candidate in the suit on the billboards?
- 6 Mary Feilding Guild: New Highgate owner claims 'widespread Legionella'
- 7 Buyers launch legal action after £75k bill for flammable cladding
- 8 HIV 'progress is stalling' says Royal Free doctor who consulted on It's A Sin
- 9 'Silver lining of lockdown': Blockheads saxophonist brings Muswell Hill cheer
- 10 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill