‘We’re the same group of lads’: Sir Chris Bonington, Lord Finkelstein and Hugh Dennis join Hampstead school reunion
- Credit: Karl Nathan Hill
Famous faces including mountaineer Sir Chris Bonington, Lord Daniel Finkelstein and comedian Hugh Dennis reunited and reminisced at their old Hampstead school to celebrate 40 years since their sixth form studies.
University College School Hampstead hosted its Old Gowers' annual dinner to an audience of 180 people on February 27 to mark its 'Class of 1980'.
Sir Chris, an icon of British mountaineering, was the event's guest of honour, held to toast 40 years since the Queen reopened the school's Great Hall in 1980, which was gutted by fire two years earlier.
The Queen recently wrote to the Class of 1980 to pass on her best wishes.
Old Gower Alan Jacobs said: "Whilst life had taken us in many different directions - academia, media, entertainment, medicine, law, banking, business - we were essentially the same group of lads, just a little gentler with the passing of time.
You may also want to watch:
"A rousing rendition of the school song brought a fantastic evening to a close and we are all looking forward to celebrating the half-century in 10 years' time."
- 1 London Assembly elections: Camden, Barnet and Haringey's candidates
- 2 Swimmers launch legal challenge to charges at Hampstead Heath Ponds
- 3 Owner mourns Highgate station’s beloved black cat
- 4 North London nurses: 1% NHS pay offer is a 'kick in the teeth'
- 5 Matt Hancock to give evidence at Infected Blood Inquiry
- 6 London elections 2021 live: Latest results as they come in
- 7 Seven things to do in Hampstead and Highgate after May 17
- 8 'Unacceptable' HGV use by developers in Church Row writes off 3 cars
- 9 Home of the week: Charming Victorian home for sale in Stroud Green
- 10 England captain Harry Kane renews his shirt sponsorship with Leyton Orient