Sinkhole appears in Hampstead Lane in Highgate
- Credit: Chantelle Billson
Police were diverting traffic on Friday evening (July 16) after a section of road collapsed in Highgate.
The sinkhole appeared on the westbound side of Hampstead Lane.
It is at the Highgate end of the road, just past The Grove.
Officers were at the scene and diverting traffic around it.
A Haringey Council spokesperson said on Wednesday (July 21): “The area has been made safe. Barriers and signs are in place to ensure the safety of road users, and there will be emergency parking suspensions in place from Thursday to facilitate the repair works and to allow traffic to flow freely.
“Due to the size and complexity of the repair required, a temporary patch was not possible which is normally the case for minor defects in the road.
“Works are set to begin on Thursday July 22, 2021 for a reconstruction.”
- 1 £5,000 of crack cocaine and heroin found in Hampstead home
- 2 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 3 Haringey Council launches investigation into land deal with rapper
- 4 'Cash cows': Leaseholders fight for clarity and better value over 'huge bills'
- 5 Nancy Jirira wins Fortune Green by-election, holding on to Lib Dem council seat
- 6 Highgate School staff must undergo 'anti-sexism training' over summer
- 7 Crouch End Festival Chorus: Alexandra Palace Theatre
- 8 Protests over Highgate housing plan but council moves to reassure locals
- 9 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 10 Hundreds raised for St John’s Wood shop wrecked by flooding