Sinkhole appears in Hampstead Lane in Highgate
- Credit: Chantelle Billson
Police were diverting traffic on Friday evening (July 16) after a section of road collapsed in Highgate.
The sinkhole appeared on the westbound side of Hampstead Lane.
It is at the Highgate end of the road, just past The Grove.
Officers were at the scene and diverting traffic around it.
A Haringey Council spokesperson said on Wednesday (July 21): “The area has been made safe. Barriers and signs are in place to ensure the safety of road users, and there will be emergency parking suspensions in place from Thursday to facilitate the repair works and to allow traffic to flow freely.
“Due to the size and complexity of the repair required, a temporary patch was not possible which is normally the case for minor defects in the road.
“Works are set to begin on Thursday July 22, 2021 for a reconstruction.”
- 1 Explore 8 of north London's prettiest streets
- 2 O2 Centre redevelopment: Decision draws on Camden planning guidance
- 3 'The Bell of Hampstead': New pub to take over Cork and Bottle site
- 4 Crouch End salesman who nursed mum runs marathon for Diabetes UK
- 5 'Family unit': 28 Church Row wins readers' favourite restaurant
- 6 'Survived the storm': West Hampstead's The Alliance Pub wins reader's poll
- 7 Anger as second audit into £23m 'Mary Celeste' office block is delayed
- 8 Discover Crouch End's very own cathedral
- 9 Haringey Green Lanes flat fire sees 40 firefighters tackle blaze
- 10 Christmas at Kenwood: 'Winter wonderland' primed for Hampstead Heath