Simon Community: Belsize Park homeless charity’s Christmas challenge to replace ‘vital’ rough sleeping outreach van
- Credit: Archant
Homelessness charity the Simon Community are running an urgent Christmas appeal in order to replace an van which is “matter of life and death”.
The Belsize Park-based charity is taking part in the Big Give Christmas appeal and hoping to pick up £8,500 in order to replace the outreach vehicle it uses to ferry volunteers around Camden and Westminster distributing hot drinks and support to those sleeping rough.
Its previous van has to be scrapped as it no longer meets emissions requirements.
Rachel Cullen, who manages the outreach service for the charity, explained the van was used "almost every day" and added: "Those rough sleepers depend on our support. It's literally a matter of life and death for them.
"It will make all the difference to our vital work this winter."
You may also want to watch:
The Big Give was founded by entrepreneur Sir Alec Reed CBE and sees charity Christmas donations match-funded.
You can support the Simon Community at: crowdfunder.co.uk/all-i-want-is-a-home-this-christmas
It will use £5,000 to purchase a new second-hand van, £1,100 to run a "soup run" to 100 rough sleepers and £2,400 to pay for half of the charity's street outreach costs to help 500 rough sleepers.
- 1 Women attacked by wrench-wielding man in Hampstead
- 2 South Hampstead neighbours mourn tree felled by Storm Christoph
- 3 Every single critical care bed full at hospitals
- 4 'Big victory,' says man behind Haverstock Hill cycle lanes legal challenge
- 5 Keeping your distance: Hampstead joggers and creperie crowds
- 6 Buyers claim luxury flats are 'nightmare' construction site
- 7 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes order scrapped by Camden Council
- 8 Crouch End's 'Paul the Paper' bids farewell to Broadway stall
- 9 Camden residents offered symptom-free Covid testing
- 10 Arteta 'very disappointed' by Arsenal exit