Simon Community: Belsize Park homeless charity’s Christmas challenge to replace ‘vital’ rough sleeping outreach van
- Credit: Archant
Homelessness charity the Simon Community are running an urgent Christmas appeal in order to replace an van which is “matter of life and death”.
The Belsize Park-based charity is taking part in the Big Give Christmas appeal and hoping to pick up £8,500 in order to replace the outreach vehicle it uses to ferry volunteers around Camden and Westminster distributing hot drinks and support to those sleeping rough.
Its previous van has to be scrapped as it no longer meets emissions requirements.
Rachel Cullen, who manages the outreach service for the charity, explained the van was used "almost every day" and added: "Those rough sleepers depend on our support. It's literally a matter of life and death for them.
"It will make all the difference to our vital work this winter."
You may also want to watch:
The Big Give was founded by entrepreneur Sir Alec Reed CBE and sees charity Christmas donations match-funded.
You can support the Simon Community at: crowdfunder.co.uk/all-i-want-is-a-home-this-christmas
It will use £5,000 to purchase a new second-hand van, £1,100 to run a "soup run" to 100 rough sleepers and £2,400 to pay for half of the charity's street outreach costs to help 500 rough sleepers.
- 1 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 2 Helen McCrory: 'Mighty' Tufnell Park actress dies aged 52
- 3 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 4 Slavia Prague v Arsenal: Five Things We Learned
- 5 Hampstead Ballet School star wins place at Bolshoi academy in Moscow
- 6 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 7 What's next? Covid-19 and the future of Hampstead Village
- 8 Developer's plan for six houses in old pub car park in Highgate Hill
- 9 Hampstead robberies: Inside the police chase which caught 8 violent criminals
- 10 For Nazanin's sake, hostage-taking must be a nuclear deal issue