Simon Community: Belsize Park homeless charity’s Christmas challenge to replace ‘vital’ rough sleeping outreach van
- Credit: Archant
Homelessness charity the Simon Community are running an urgent Christmas appeal in order to replace an van which is “matter of life and death”.
The Belsize Park-based charity is taking part in the Big Give Christmas appeal and hoping to pick up £8,500 in order to replace the outreach vehicle it uses to ferry volunteers around Camden and Westminster distributing hot drinks and support to those sleeping rough.
Its previous van has to be scrapped as it no longer meets emissions requirements.
Rachel Cullen, who manages the outreach service for the charity, explained the van was used "almost every day" and added: "Those rough sleepers depend on our support. It's literally a matter of life and death for them.
"It will make all the difference to our vital work this winter."
You may also want to watch:
The Big Give was founded by entrepreneur Sir Alec Reed CBE and sees charity Christmas donations match-funded.
You can support the Simon Community at: crowdfunder.co.uk/all-i-want-is-a-home-this-christmas
It will use £5,000 to purchase a new second-hand van, £1,100 to run a "soup run" to 100 rough sleepers and £2,400 to pay for half of the charity's street outreach costs to help 500 rough sleepers.
- 1 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 2 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes set for approval by Camden Council – again
- 3 'Body blow': Crouch End NatWest bank to close
- 4 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 5 Source Bulk Foods health store opens in Crouch End
- 6 'The council thought asking your view is unnecessary'
- 7 Call for answers after flood 'destroyed parents' love letters and vinyl records'
- 8 'Time for the government to face up to the climate emergency'
- 9 'No one should be aiming to breathe air that is only just legal'
- 10 Haringey Council launches investigation into land deal with rapper