Signs are that Heath cycling laws should be much stricter
I have no idea how many cyclists use Hampstead Heath each day, but I regret to differ with the opinion that the majority of cyclists observe the current restrictions. I walk over the Heath each morning with my dog, from the Heath extension at the bottom o
I have no idea how many cyclists use Hampstead Heath each day, but I regret to differ with the opinion that the majority of cyclists observe the current restrictions.
I walk over the Heath each morning with my dog, from the Heath extension at the bottom of South End Road, up to the ponds usually.
The pathway is marked clearly at both ends and on the tarmac with 'No cycling' signs. Yet day after day I see bicycle after bicycle passing me whilst I walk - I would estimate on average at least six to eight contraventions each morning within that 30-minute period.
This alone would amount to in excess of 2,500 illegal bicycle journeys per annum, just on this stretch of the Heath over a half- hour period per day.
You may also want to watch:
The reality would seem to be therefore that several tens of thousands of illegal bikes per annum are already in existance on the Heath. Whilst some may cause disruption, I have personal experience of what happens when a bicycle catches a dog lead!
If cyclists cannot or will not observe the current regulations, then it seems to me that a more restrictive policy should be introduced and stringently enforced.
- 1 Buyers launch legal action after £75k bill for flammable cladding
- 2 Car crashes through South Hampstead garden wall - cyclist seriously injured
- 3 Abandoned burger trailer finally removed from Muswell Hill street
- 4 Senior councillors knew of chance to buy office block for £12m less than they paid
- 5 Developer's plan for six houses in old pub car park in Highgate Hill
- 6 The Heath, exhaust theft, public access, Centene, the Streatery and more
- 7 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 8 New Belsize restaurant Cinder enjoys busy opening after lockdown delays
- 9 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 10 Boy George and Bananarama join Kenwood 2021 concert line up
By the way, I do not own a 4x4 or any car !
Byron D J Britton