Signs are that Heath cycling laws should be much stricter
I have no idea how many cyclists use Hampstead Heath each day, but I regret to differ with the opinion that the majority of cyclists observe the current restrictions. I walk over the Heath each morning with my dog, from the Heath extension at the bottom o
I have no idea how many cyclists use Hampstead Heath each day, but I regret to differ with the opinion that the majority of cyclists observe the current restrictions.
I walk over the Heath each morning with my dog, from the Heath extension at the bottom of South End Road, up to the ponds usually.
The pathway is marked clearly at both ends and on the tarmac with 'No cycling' signs. Yet day after day I see bicycle after bicycle passing me whilst I walk - I would estimate on average at least six to eight contraventions each morning within that 30-minute period.
This alone would amount to in excess of 2,500 illegal bicycle journeys per annum, just on this stretch of the Heath over a half- hour period per day.
You may also want to watch:
The reality would seem to be therefore that several tens of thousands of illegal bikes per annum are already in existance on the Heath. Whilst some may cause disruption, I have personal experience of what happens when a bicycle catches a dog lead!
If cyclists cannot or will not observe the current regulations, then it seems to me that a more restrictive policy should be introduced and stringently enforced.
- 1 Curious Crouch End: From Mrs Hitler to the 'The Hornsey Revolution'
- 2 Swimmers find exotic python lurking outside lido
- 3 Baked to perfection: Dunns rakes in prizes at World Bread Awards
- 4 Christmas trees and lights set for Hampstead return
- 5 'Decades of cycling infrastructure progress in just a year'
- 6 North London police officer suspended and charged with theft
- 7 'Unacceptable': Fury over Crouch End roadworks diverting W5 bus
- 8 Squares Pizzeria: Authentic Italian meets effortless elegance
- 9 Objectors fear housing plans threaten chance of Highgate pub return
- 10 Christmas at Kenwood light trail gets go-ahead
By the way, I do not own a 4x4 or any car !
Byron D J Britton