Short crust pastry recipe
Short crust pastry
This recipe makes enough pastry to line one 25cm flan tin. Any left over pastry can be frozen.
225g (8oz) plain flour115g (4oz) butterA pinch of salt1 medium free-range egg A little cold water
1 To make the pastry, place the butter, flour and salt in the food processor and whizz to a fine bread crumb texture.
2 Whisk the egg and add a little at a time to the pastry mix until it forms a dough. If the mixture is too dry, drizzle in a little cold water. I then transfer the mix to a bowl and finish it by hand.
You may also want to watch:
3 Press the pastry into a flat disc shape, making it easier to roll out later, wrap in cling film and chill in the fridge for a good hour.
- 1 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 2 Primrose Hill to close at night this weekend after antisocial behaviour
- 3 The questions council 'must answer' after spending £23m on £10m office
- 4 Hampstead, Highgate and Primrose Hill beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 5 Calls for law change after Highgate School sexual abuse allegations
- 6 Arteta: Arsenal have 'responsibility' to qualify for Europe
- 7 Prince Philip remembered in pictures: London Zoo visits and trips to the theatre
- 8 This destruction of a woodland site must be halted
- 9 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
- 10 How a 'terrifying' Hampstead spree of robberies was brought to an end