Short crust pastry recipe
Short crust pastry
This recipe makes enough pastry to line one 25cm flan tin. Any left over pastry can be frozen.
225g (8oz) plain flour115g (4oz) butterA pinch of salt1 medium free-range egg A little cold water
1 To make the pastry, place the butter, flour and salt in the food processor and whizz to a fine bread crumb texture.
2 Whisk the egg and add a little at a time to the pastry mix until it forms a dough. If the mixture is too dry, drizzle in a little cold water. I then transfer the mix to a bowl and finish it by hand.
3 Press the pastry into a flat disc shape, making it easier to roll out later, wrap in cling film and chill in the fridge for a good hour.
- 1 'Ruining our vibe': Muswell Hill coffee shop divides community opinion
- 2 Ashling Murphy: Camden pays tribute to murdered primary school teacher
- 3 Barnet, Camden and Haringey receive boost for low vaccine uptake
- 4 Hampstead retail site snapped up for £7m by property firm
- 5 Drug runner caught at Euston with heroin in underwear jailed for four years
- 6 The story of a pond returning to Hampstead Heath
- 7 How mental health services are changing in north London
- 8 Guilty: Woman stirred up racial hatred with social media posts on Grenfell
- 9 Nine of London's best vegan restaurants to try this Veganuary
- 10 'Our walking and cycling plan will make Haringey safer and cleaner'