Short crust pastry recipe
Short crust pastry
This recipe makes enough pastry to line one 25cm flan tin. Any left over pastry can be frozen.
225g (8oz) plain flour115g (4oz) butterA pinch of salt1 medium free-range egg A little cold water
1 To make the pastry, place the butter, flour and salt in the food processor and whizz to a fine bread crumb texture.
2 Whisk the egg and add a little at a time to the pastry mix until it forms a dough. If the mixture is too dry, drizzle in a little cold water. I then transfer the mix to a bowl and finish it by hand.
You may also want to watch:
3 Press the pastry into a flat disc shape, making it easier to roll out later, wrap in cling film and chill in the fridge for a good hour.
- 1 Burglar of £100k watches and jewellery haul jailed
- 2 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 3 How many trees have been felled in the Parkland Walk?
- 4 Birthday Honours: Period Poverty campaigner Amika George becomes an MBE
- 5 Capita review could see Barnet Council services return in-house
- 6 Birthday Honours: Cllr Jonathan Simpson 'astonished' to be made MBE
- 7 Food Bank Aid joins estate agent in fight to keep up with demand
- 8 Birthday Honours: Gongs for Arlene Phillips, Jonathan Pryce and Engelbert Humperdinck
- 9 5 days out in London where you can meet the animals
- 10 Neighbours fight plan for 'out of character' flats above nursery