Short crust pastry recipe
Short crust pastry
This recipe makes enough pastry to line one 25cm flan tin. Any left over pastry can be frozen.
225g (8oz) plain flour115g (4oz) butterA pinch of salt1 medium free-range egg A little cold water
1 To make the pastry, place the butter, flour and salt in the food processor and whizz to a fine bread crumb texture.
2 Whisk the egg and add a little at a time to the pastry mix until it forms a dough. If the mixture is too dry, drizzle in a little cold water. I then transfer the mix to a bowl and finish it by hand.
You may also want to watch:
3 Press the pastry into a flat disc shape, making it easier to roll out later, wrap in cling film and chill in the fridge for a good hour.
- 1 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 2 ‘I was livid': Outrage as Camden homeless man sprayed with hose
- 3 New Jewish Fringe festival comes to Golders Green
- 4 Mayor of Camden joins West Hampstead Primary School renaming fair
- 5 'We've been forgotten': Homeless Muswell Hill family demand action
- 6 Crunch! Eliana and Ariella's granola business success
- 7 UK's first no chicken nugget shop pops up in Camden Town
- 8 Police name Newham man fatally shot in Haringey
- 9 How did a double-decker bus crash straight into a Crouch End house?
- 10 'Land grab': Muswell Hill Gail's accused of taking over pavement