Shop Local: West Hampstead craft shop sees online sales surge after lockdown lift in creativity
- Credit: Archant
There will be more homemade Christmas presents in West Hampstead this year following an injection of creativity during lockdown.
Annie Barker, owner of The Village Haberdashery, said the Covid-19 pandemic had seen people pick up crafts they’d always wanted to try - particularly knitting, sewing and embroidery.
The arts business in Heritage Lane has witnessed a 500% increase in online sales between January and May, and the shop’s weekly beginner classes are proving popular among both women and men.
Shopkeeper Annie said: “We’re really lucky people are back to making things.
“There’s something about learning skills while we’re all helpless that seems to be a trend.
You may also want to watch:
“Embroidery is such a calm thing to do, and keeps you off your phone.
“I hope it’s going to be a really good Christmas for us.”
- 1 'From Archway to Selfridges… The Toy Project'
- 2 Golders Green Hippodrome sold as Islamic centre plan abandoned
- 3 Northern Line tube 'assault': CCTV images released of two women
- 4 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 5 Hundreds gather on Primrose Hill to mourn Nicole Hurley
- 6 Richard Ratcliffe on hunger strike over government failure to secure Nazanin's release
- 7 Lockdown landscape artist changes job to paint full time
- 8 Best friends: Meet the man and his cat exploring London on a bike
- 9 Primrose Hill candlelight vigil to celebrate life of Nicole Hurley
- 10 Hampstead Miss Universe GB finalist champions mixed-heritage representation
Annie added that customers are buying festive supplies early this year as it gives them something to look forward to, and that they’re increasingly interested in sustainable fashion.
Visit the The Village Haberdashery’s website here.
The Ham&High’s Shop Local campaign is designed to highlight the hidden – and not so hidden – gems on our high streets. If you run a shop in our area we should be shouting about, contact the newsdesk at firstname.lastname@example.org