Shock after Belsize gym closes ‘without warning’
- Credit: Archant
A popular Belsize Park gym has closed without warning, members have said, leaving users and staff shocked and confused.
SpringHealth Hampstead, based in Belsize Park Gardens, shut its doors on Thursday with little warning or explanation – leaving many wondering what will happen to the fees they paid in advance.
Loose Women’s Carol McGiffin said on Friday she was not informed of the gym’s closure despite attending for nearly three decades.
She tweeted: “27 years I’ve been going there and not even an email! Where now.”
Accountants Smith Cooper told the Ham&High that SpringHealth had ceased to trade on Thursday because the company had incurred “substantial losses”.
You may also want to watch:
A spokesman added that the firm will be put into liquidation on February 22.
The question of whether any money is owed to employees is “between the company and its staff”, he added.
- 1 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 2 Nancy Jirira wins Fortune Green by-election, holding on to Lib Dem council seat
- 3 Haringey Council launches investigation into land deal with rapper
- 4 Teenager's artwork reimagines grandfather's class photo
- 5 Highgate's assassin: the student hostel where a murder was planned
- 6 'Cash cows': Leaseholders fight for clarity and better value over 'huge bills'
- 7 Modern murder mysteries set in the heart of Hampstead
- 8 £5,000 of crack cocaine and heroin found in Hampstead home
- 9 Crouch End Festival Chorus: Alexandra Palace Theatre
- 10 Highgate parking changes dropped — two years on from uproar
Any enquiries should be directed to Smith Cooper on 0115 945 4300.
Belsize councillor Claire-Louise Leyland, meanwhile, said she was “shocked” to hear the news.
She added: “I’m sure that a lot of local members will be really upset about this and also concerned about staff, who’ve become part of our community.”
When called, the centre’s phone number produces only a dead tone.
SpringHealth’s last Twitter post was on Wednesday, a day before the closure.
It tweeted: “Go for your goals #wednesdaywisdom #wednesdaymotivation #FitnessGoals #Hampstead #springhealth”.
Have you been affected by the closure of SpringHealth gym? If so, get in touch on 0207 433 0132 or email email@example.com