Shadow business secretary Chuka Umunna visits new West Hampstead centre
- Credit: Nigel Sutton
Shadow business secretary Chuka Umunna dropped into a new West Hampstead community centre to talk to local business owners today.
The Labour MP for Streatham, seen as one of the party’s brightest young stars, checked out the new Sherriff Centre at St James Church, in Sherriff Road, before hosting a Q&A session with business owners inside the church this afternoon.
The 35-year-old was welcomed on his visit by Tulip Siddiq, Labour’s parliamentary candidate for Hampstead and Kilburn.
St James vicar Father Andrew Cain is postmaster of the new Post Office branch which opened in the church last month, following the closure of the post office in West End Lane.
The new post office is accompanied by a new café, gift shop, delicatessen and soft play area, which make up the Sherriff Centre.
You may also want to watch:
All profits from the centre will be invested back into the community to fund carer and toddler groups, older person support and debt advice at the church.
- 1 Apology to Barnet mother for 'embarrassing' food parcel
- 2 Hampstead vaccination centre shoots for 1,000 daily Covid jabs
- 3 Kentish Town café fundraises to keep community spirit alive
- 4 Free Nazanin: Calls for clarity as West Hampstead mum's sentence draws to a close
- 5 Jeremy Corbyn launches Peace and Justice Project with calls to action
- 6 Hampstead families aim to raise £50,000 to feed Royal Free medics
- 7 Maida Vale florist starts weekly subscription to brighten lockdown
- 8 Joan Bakewell fires legal threat to government over second Covid jab
- 9 Hampstead's Karma Bread thanks Royal Free staff with baked goods
- 10 O2 Centre: developer Landsec 'looking to re-provide' Sainsbury's