Shadow business secretary Chuka Umunna visits new West Hampstead centre
- Credit: Nigel Sutton
Shadow business secretary Chuka Umunna dropped into a new West Hampstead community centre to talk to local business owners today.
The Labour MP for Streatham, seen as one of the party’s brightest young stars, checked out the new Sherriff Centre at St James Church, in Sherriff Road, before hosting a Q&A session with business owners inside the church this afternoon.
The 35-year-old was welcomed on his visit by Tulip Siddiq, Labour’s parliamentary candidate for Hampstead and Kilburn.
St James vicar Father Andrew Cain is postmaster of the new Post Office branch which opened in the church last month, following the closure of the post office in West End Lane.
The new post office is accompanied by a new café, gift shop, delicatessen and soft play area, which make up the Sherriff Centre.
You may also want to watch:
All profits from the centre will be invested back into the community to fund carer and toddler groups, older person support and debt advice at the church.
- 1 Rabindranath Tagore's Hampstead home on the market for £2.65m
- 2 Hampstead house ravaged by early morning blaze
- 3 Artist who captures North London's 'special light'
- 4 Hundreds of activists descend on north London incinerator demanding end to rebuild
- 5 'It's madness': Queues block north London roads amid petrol shortage
- 6 Haverstock Hill petrol station 'assault' arrest as motorists queue for fuel
- 7 Pure Gym to open in Crouch End
- 8 Man charged with Haringey murder and victim named
- 9 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 10 Meet the entrepreneur helping Londoners find the cool dining spots