Shadow business secretary Chuka Umunna visits new West Hampstead centre
- Credit: Nigel Sutton
Shadow business secretary Chuka Umunna dropped into a new West Hampstead community centre to talk to local business owners today.
The Labour MP for Streatham, seen as one of the party’s brightest young stars, checked out the new Sherriff Centre at St James Church, in Sherriff Road, before hosting a Q&A session with business owners inside the church this afternoon.
The 35-year-old was welcomed on his visit by Tulip Siddiq, Labour’s parliamentary candidate for Hampstead and Kilburn.
St James vicar Father Andrew Cain is postmaster of the new Post Office branch which opened in the church last month, following the closure of the post office in West End Lane.
The new post office is accompanied by a new café, gift shop, delicatessen and soft play area, which make up the Sherriff Centre.
You may also want to watch:
All profits from the centre will be invested back into the community to fund carer and toddler groups, older person support and debt advice at the church.
- 1 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 2 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 3 Discovering 'rich' poetry of Hampstead Heath on guided tours
- 4 Thames Water 'sorry' after Finchley Road diversion sees cars damaged
- 5 O2 Centre: Developer says it 'will listen' but still aiming for 1,900 homes
- 6 Man charged with indecent exposure and voyeurism in West Hampstead
- 7 Anger over Thames Water and Westminster Council's flash floods response
- 8 Charitable hospital set to open new £35m wing
- 9 Car driver arrested after crash with van in Camden Town
- 10 'Safe and secure home' - Camden takes landlord to court over eviction threat