Senior Labour councillor switches to Lib Dems
A SENIOR Labour councillor has defected to the opposition party just months before elections. Councillor Brian Haley – cabinet member for environment – resigned from Haringey Council s Labour party after the borough was rated the worst in London and has j
A SENIOR Labour councillor has defected to the opposition party just months before elections.
Councillor Brian Haley - cabinet member for environment - resigned from Haringey Council's Labour party after the borough was rated the worst in London and has joined the Liberal Democrats.
Cllr Haley said: "Over the last few months it has become clearer and clearer that Labour has absolutely no vision of how to lift Haringey out of its current mess.
"It is for this reason I have taken the difficult decision to leave Labour and join the only party that has the ideas and ability to turn things around."
You may also want to watch:
The resignation means there are now only 30 Labour councillors on the council and 26 Lib Dem councillors.
- 1 Rabindranath Tagore's Hampstead home on the market for £2.65m
- 2 Hundreds of activists descend on north London incinerator demanding end to rebuild
- 3 Artist who captures North London's 'special light'
- 4 Pure Gym to open in Crouch End
- 5 'It's madness': Queues block north London roads amid petrol shortage
- 6 Late-night kidnap arrest after police search park
- 7 Hampstead house ravaged by early morning blaze
- 8 Haverstock Hill petrol station 'assault' arrest as motorists queue for fuel
- 9 'We can't afford it': Camden foodbank prepares for spike in demand
- 10 'Potential for something remarkable'? Residents on O2 Centre redevelopment