Senior Labour councillor switches to Lib Dems
A SENIOR Labour councillor has defected to the opposition party just months before elections. Councillor Brian Haley – cabinet member for environment – resigned from Haringey Council s Labour party after the borough was rated the worst in London and has j
A SENIOR Labour councillor has defected to the opposition party just months before elections.
Councillor Brian Haley - cabinet member for environment - resigned from Haringey Council's Labour party after the borough was rated the worst in London and has joined the Liberal Democrats.
Cllr Haley said: "Over the last few months it has become clearer and clearer that Labour has absolutely no vision of how to lift Haringey out of its current mess.
"It is for this reason I have taken the difficult decision to leave Labour and join the only party that has the ideas and ability to turn things around."
You may also want to watch:
The resignation means there are now only 30 Labour councillors on the council and 26 Lib Dem councillors.
- 1 Haringey Council leader ousted by rival in Labour group vote
- 2 Camden’s recycling rate has fallen – and this rubbish is now urgent
- 3 Hampstead man jailed for pub 'revenge attack' on Jewish Tory barrister
- 4 Revealed: The five most polluted places in Camden
- 5 Highgate mental illness charity sees 'desperation' rise during Covid year
- 6 Highgate primary praises new school street scheme restricting cars
- 7 James, Feeder and Maxïmo Park to play opening night of Kenwood
- 8 Three men charged after police officer injured in traffic stop
- 9 Owner mourns Highgate station’s beloved black cat
- 10 Vagina Museum reopens with the history of periods