Senior Labour councillor switches to Lib Dems
A SENIOR Labour councillor has defected to the opposition party just months before elections. Councillor Brian Haley – cabinet member for environment – resigned from Haringey Council s Labour party after the borough was rated the worst in London and has j
A SENIOR Labour councillor has defected to the opposition party just months before elections.
Councillor Brian Haley - cabinet member for environment - resigned from Haringey Council's Labour party after the borough was rated the worst in London and has joined the Liberal Democrats.
Cllr Haley said: "Over the last few months it has become clearer and clearer that Labour has absolutely no vision of how to lift Haringey out of its current mess.
"It is for this reason I have taken the difficult decision to leave Labour and join the only party that has the ideas and ability to turn things around."
The resignation means there are now only 30 Labour councillors on the council and 26 Lib Dem councillors.
- 1 The man who wants to put trains among the trees from Muswell Hill to Highgate
- 2 Highgate pub gets the go-ahead to reopen
- 3 Cops swoop on cannabis farm rumoured to be 'largest ever' busted in Haringey
- 4 Ricky Gervais behind new benches for people grieving to 'talk and reflect'
- 5 Could Adama Traore be on his way to Tottenham?
- 6 Landlord scales back 40% rent rise - but it is too late for some tenants
- 7 Watchdog: Ex-council leader's conduct over housing development was 'flawed'
- 8 Covid patient numbers levelling out after Christmas rise, data suggests
- 9 Discover north London’s ‘lost’ synagogue
- 10 'Superior York stone’ to be laid in Hornsey Town Hall Square