Senior Labour councillor switches to Lib Dems
A SENIOR Labour councillor has defected to the opposition party just months before elections. Councillor Brian Haley – cabinet member for environment – resigned from Haringey Council s Labour party after the borough was rated the worst in London and has j
A SENIOR Labour councillor has defected to the opposition party just months before elections.
Councillor Brian Haley - cabinet member for environment - resigned from Haringey Council's Labour party after the borough was rated the worst in London and has joined the Liberal Democrats.
Cllr Haley said: "Over the last few months it has become clearer and clearer that Labour has absolutely no vision of how to lift Haringey out of its current mess.
"It is for this reason I have taken the difficult decision to leave Labour and join the only party that has the ideas and ability to turn things around."
You may also want to watch:
The resignation means there are now only 30 Labour councillors on the council and 26 Lib Dem councillors.
- 1 Teenager dies after stabbing in Archway
- 2 Pictures: Fun for families as the snow arrives on Hampstead Heath
- 3 Man detained after series of attacks on women in Hampstead
- 4 The snow is beautiful and fun - but during Covid we must stick to the rules
- 5 Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta expecting another tough game against Southampton
- 6 South Hampstead neighbours mourn tree felled by Storm Christoph
- 7 Covid, O2, police, village square, Notting Hill Genesis and the Suburb
- 8 Women attacked by wrench-wielding man in Hampstead
- 9 Buyers claim luxury flats are 'nightmare' construction site
- 10 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes order scrapped by Camden Council